Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Butt is tied together!!!

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just about to get my first pork butt ready to smoke and I find that is is tied together in 2 places. Should i cut the ties before I smoke it or leave it tied.

Thanks

Virgin Egger

Comments

• h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    I'd leave it tied. Otherwise it'll flop open, and not cook like one big hunk o pork. I'm sure the string will be fine at egg smokin temps.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 63
    Options
    Presumably you bought a boneless butt. Costco, for example, sells only boneless. Removing the bone means that they have to cut around it, leaving an "unrolled" chunk of meat. Hence tying it back together. As h20egg said, leave it tied (although you could unroll it, season the inside, and tie it back up.)

Anticipating your next question: the time should be similar whether it is boneless or not, and you still pull it at the same internal temps.