Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Shingle (yes, shingle) Salmon

Options
Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In May I spent a week putting a wood fascia and a gutter around our garage. I needed some cedar shingles to use as shims, to get everything plumb and level. These are the same type of shingles I bought maybe ten years ago to shim some work in a new bathroom, and I still have shingles left from those for cooking salmon.

Anyway... Here they are, undercourse shingles (a utility grade). they were eight dollars. Repeat. Eight Dollars. The cost of maybe two fancy schmancy Williams Sonoma planks.

undercourse-shingles.jpg

no, they aren't treated. I don't even think they make PT cedar (would be redundant), though they do make fire-retardent treated roof shakes(and for which you pay more). These are cedar shingles not suitable for finish (siding) work, but for use as a starter course under the first row of wall or roof shingles. They are raw cedar, and marked clearly.

Here';s a shot of where i was using them.

typical-detail.jpg

The PT blocking there is nailed to concrete which has an angle to it. I shimmed out the new fascia with the shingles. No gutter yet. Used them under the wood blocking around the garage door opening too.

right_corner_garage_jamb_blocking.jpg

ok ok ok, get to the food. (just wanted to show you what they were REALLY for).

this is what i had left...

leftover_shingles.jpg

Soaked one of them for about an hour while i started the fire and prepped the salmon.

soak-the-plank.jpg

snipped off the thinnest end

trim-thin-end.jpg

Simple mustard coating with brown sugar and salt/pepper

prepping.jpg

prepped.jpg

on-the-grill.jpg

they're thin, but there's minimal char after a half hour or more at 400 or so direct.

minimal_char.jpg

the finished salmon

plated_salmon2.jpg

and the finished trim and garage door jamb... hahaha

finished_trim.jpg

I can't think of a good reason to buy an eight dollar plank when you can get far more than you'd ever need from a bale of shingles... but that's just me. :whistle: :laugh:

Comments