Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ a Purple Cabbage!

Options
Da Kine Green BBQ
Da Kine Green BBQ Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Inspired by Steve Raichlen's awesome book, "How to Grill," here is what I made last weekend, to go along with my BBQ ribs and BBQ corn on the cob. Steve dares us to try a red cabbage, so I decided to go for it.

Here is a picture of it being cut open:
2010-KH6WZ-HBRACESFDandBBQ076.jpg

We weren't sure how to "carve" it, so it ended up sort of weird on the plate, more like a cole slaw or something. Here is what it looked like plated up for serving:

2010-KH6WZ-HBRACESFDandBBQ078.jpg

Next time will carve it so we can see the folds and crannies on the cabbage, and the stuffing in the middle, and slice it sort of like a cinnamon roll or something so you can see the layers.

Tasted great! But! It took about 4 hours on indirect heat, at about 200 degrees. Is purple cabbage tougher than the green stuff?

And - the purple juice stains. I think I have to bleach out the stains on my countertop!

Comments

• Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    It is pretty! :) What did ya stuff it with?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Good to get out of your box!! Did you core that to stuff it? If you do core it then you can cut in nice wedges. Parchment paper on the cutting board or counter will help with the stains. I also think 200 is a bit to low. 300-325 would do.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Oh those ribs and corn look gooooood.
    Don't mess around with purple, it's just a trend. Green is more better when it comes to cabbage. You want tender? Go with Savoy. :cheer:
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Here is a green smoked stuffed cabbage we cooked.

Larry

dae7.jpg

8e84.jpg

d0d7.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i grew up eating purple cabbage, my grandmothers coleslaw was even purple. good stuff, try frying some up in bacon fat with some walnuts and add a malt vinegar dressing. stuffed purple cabbage sounds good :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Suz - well, after looking and lurking and reading some posts of experienced Eggers, I think I need to be careful when answering this question, since the secret is in Steve's book, How to Grill.

But, since I changed it slightly, I am gonna tell ya. I stuffed the cabbage with Vidalia onion, butter and panchetta/Italian bacon. Cook this on the stove until the onion just turns soft. Then add the stuff into the "cavity", and add BBQ sauce, I like KC Masterpiece, original. OH - used the butter/bacon grease on the outside of the cabbage.

It does look pretty cool, though, eh?

Cheers!
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Molly - Good ideas on stain prevention. I will increase the heat on the next one - thanks!
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    OH YEAH. The ribs came out great. Dry rub, then the KC Masterpiece on it later. . . I do my corn for like 45 minutes, I seen some other Q-ers roasting for what - 1 hour or more? Yikes. Can't wait for the next cook - maybe London Broil?
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    YB - nice ! What is the stuffing? It looks more meaty. And - how did you cut it up and serve? Wedges? Slices?

And I noticed you cut a bigger cavity for stuffing. Looks like a good idea. Gotta try one again! Thanks for pictures!
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Bacon grease - yummmmm. I still remember when dad made us kids breakfast one morning when mom was away. He made scrambled eggs mixed with hamburger, and toast, fried in the pan with bacon grease. Cholestrol? Whazz dat?