Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday cook: A trip around the world! (pic heavy!)

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today's cook was inspired by a new cookbook given to me by my wonderful wife for my birthday last weekend :D "Planet Barbecue!" by Steve Raichlen. (there are a couple of references/pictures of the BGE in the book, too!)

So, today, I cooked Thai style chicken sate's with peanut sauce, Singapore style beef sate's with spicy cucumber relish, African shrimp, Armenian potatoes, Italian potatoes (for my wife), steamed broccoli, and roasted corn.

Ton of food, yes. Enough for me to take lunches to work for the next couple of days! :D

Last night I started the prep: just getting the marinade for the chicken done.

First, I had to rehydrate the lemongrass. I went to a farmer's market, two "world" markets, a "spice" market, and two grocery stores... and none of them had fresh lemongrass. Oh well, no biggie :D

IMG_2540.jpg

A couple of thai chili peppers, a few piquin peppers, fresh turmeric, fresh ginger, lime, shallots, brown sugar, salt, coriander, cumin, Szechuan peppercorns, soy sauce, fish sauce, coconut milk, and of course the rehydrated lemongrass :D

IMG_2541.jpg

Everything in my mini food processor read to rock & roll for the marinade.

IMG_2542.jpg

4 boneless chicken thighs washed then sliced in half lengthwise to make threading on the skewers easier, then put into a zip-top bag, ready & willing to be marinated :D

IMG_2543.jpg

The marinating party is on! I turned them every few hours (while I was awake that is) ;)

IMG_2544.jpg

After a quick jaunt to the dog park, I continued my international quest with a cup of Hawaiian espresso and a lot of cooking! Enjoying a cup of Kuwaii blend espresso while prepping the spices for the peanut sauce.

IMG_2545.jpg

Getting ready to make the spicy cucumber relish. For cucumber salads, I prefer to make them as soon as possible because I like them ice cold, so I usually make cucumber based dishes early in the day so they can refrigerate and let their flavors meld together :D

IMG_2546.jpg

Chopped peppers & shallots. 1 habanero, 2 thai peppers, a few piquins, and 1 jalapeno... along with 1 shallot.

IMG_2547.jpg

Cucumber relish is done!

IMG_2548.jpg

Now it's time to make the shrimp marinade. This was inspired by a peri peri shrimp recipe I saw in the cookbook... which of course I tweaked to my liking :D Ingredients:

IMG_2549.jpg

The recipe called for 1-3 peri-peri peppers.... but since I couldn't find them anywhere in Houston, I had to improvise with what I do have. Habaneros, thai peppers, and piquins. Chopped!

IMG_2550.jpg

It also called for Tabasco sauce. Homey don't play that! Ghost pepper sauce it is :D It also called for only lemon juice... but since I had an extra 1/2 lime, in it went, along with some butter:

IMG_2551.jpg

After prepping the marinade, it kept separating. So I decided to use a little yellow mustard as an emulsifying agent, which worked perfectly!

IMG_2552.jpg

6 extra large (10-15 ct) Texas fresh shrimp, shells on but freshly deveined:

IMG_2553.jpg

Now, on to the Armenian potatoes. When I saw this recipe, I was blown away by its simplicity, but I still had to change it up a tiny bit. So the recipe calls for new/red potatoes, parboiled then cut in half, skewered with a piece of paprika seasoned bacon inbetween the potatoes, so it looks sort of like a miniature sandwich.

I used thick cut jalapeno bacon (from HEB) seasoned with granulated garlic, ground peppercorns, and Spanish sweet paprika:

IMG_2554.jpg

Once I skewered all the potatoes (interweaving bacon pieces inbetween), I lubed all the potatoes with a bit of rendered bacon fat then a pinch of kosher salt.

IMG_2555.jpg

For my dear wife, she loves Italian seasoned fingerling potatoes, so I did up a small batch for her :D I parboiled them first, chopped into bite size pieces, lubed with olive oil, then seasoned with some minced garlic, basil, oregano, kosher salt, and black pepper.

IMG_2556.jpg

Skewered chicken sate's & beef sate's:

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

Hah, one of my dogs just chilling by the fence... he smells something interesting in the air!

IMG_2584.jpg

Sleepy doggie yawning so... hah

IMG_2586.jpg

Beef sate's & corn on the grill.

IMG_2589.jpg

Beef sate's all done!

IMG_2590.jpg

What's this daddy? Can I have some?!?

IMG_2593.jpg

Chicken sate's on the grill!

IMG_2594.jpg

Check out the peppers on the sates!

IMG_2595.jpg

I love the smell of sates in the morning. Err, afternoon... or something

IMG_2596.jpg

Sates all done.

IMG_2597.jpg

Time for the Armenian potatoes. They didn't take long to cook :D

IMG_2598.jpg

Time for my wife's Italian potatoes. First, preheat the CI skillet with 3 tbsp of bacon fat:

IMG_2599.jpg

Then cook the yellow fingerling potatoes to perfection!

IMG_2600.jpg

Mmmmm I can almost taste it just looking at this picture! haha

IMG_2601.jpg

After the potatoes were done, it was time for my modified African shrimp. I decided to use the residual heat from the CI skillet (and more importantly: the residual flavors of the bacon fat & Italian seasonings) and cook the shrimp in the skillet.

IMG_2603.jpg

Mmmmm the shrimp were unbelievably good! My only regret was only cooking 6 of them. haha.

IMG_2604.jpg

Dinner is served!

A wee bit of chicken sates with peanut sauce, beef sates with cucumber relish, 2 african shrimp, a couple of armenian potatoes, and some steamed broccoli... No room for corn :(

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

Was an awesome meal, but wow, it took a LONG time to cook. I think it must have taken me about 4-6 hours total from start to finish to do everything. Well worth it though :D

Comments

• Vincent Chase
    Options
    Outstanding!! What an inspiring post. He contributed some international BBQ recipes in a Bon Appetit magazine from last summer that I was browsing through today and they looked great. I'll have to look for the book you used the next time I'm at Borders - I'd be eggstatic if they came out as well as you did them. Seriously good work.
  • Unknown
    Options
    That was an awesome photo essay! Good job. TT
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Rezen....OK...and Yumm!! And like you said, you only cooked 6 shrimp why??? :blink: Whole cook looked superb!!! I love your ambition, and creativity!! You are in fact, a true egghead with these cooks!! Nicely done! :)
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options

I only cooked 6 shrimp because my wife doesn't like seafood nor extremely spicy foods. I figured I'd have a few extras for lunches this week.

It's quite funny, the shrimp turned out being the best part of the entire cook... next time, I'll leave out the chicken sates and peanut sauce... and make more shrimp!

soooo good. I actually ate all 6 today lol :(
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    thanks for the photo essay - i just bought this book from amazon.com - you have inspired me to "use it" - you are truly a "planet egg-man"

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    What a great post and the pics are AWESOME! as for finding odd peppers..... here in downeast Maine I am lucky if there is a green pepper in the grocery store...... on a good day maybe even a red one! love living here but as far as being a foodie..... thanks for sharing and that was a great cook!
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    YUM!

Great pics and tasty looking grub :)

Picked up that cookbook about 2 weeks ago in the bargain rack at Walmart :blink:
    and have had quite a lot of fun looking through it....thanks for the kick in the pants to start cooking some of it! Also noted the peri-peri recipe ;)

some weekends are just made for marathon creations B)
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    I just got that book myself and went to a book signing to meet Steven as well. I really like his international approach to live fire cooking.

You did a great job on the recipes... wish I was there for a sample!
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com