Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to...sword fish?

Options
Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a good, simple recipe for sword fish as well as the best temp/way to cook it? I'm use to cooking salmon but sword fish is more steak like, so I'm pondering what would be the best route as far as temp. I will probably go raised direct unless I hear otherwise. Thanks :)

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    "otherwise"

Non-raised grid. High heat. And if you've got it, CI grid. When it comes to fish, heat is your friend.

Here's a Raichlen recipe for swordfish skewers.

http://www.primalgrill.org/htdocs/kebabs.html
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    Thanks Ben. By high heat, do you mean sear around 600+?
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    That sounds about right. If you've got a really thick steak, and you're worried about burning the outside before the inside is up to temp, you can always throw in your raised grid after you've gotten a good sear on the fish.

The high heat (and CI grid, if you've got it) will help keep the fish from sticking. A super-hot grid will sear the part of the fish that's in contact with the grid quickly and completely, and the fish should release well, without sticking. Your grid should also be very clean, and oiling it first doesn't hurt.

On Fathers' Day weekend, we were at the in-laws, and I was asked to do the grilling, on the FIL's gasser. I asked him to set the grill on high while I prepped the salmon. While I was in the kitchen, he saw that the temp in his grill had gotten up to 700, and turned the temp down on me. When it came time to put the salmon on the grill, the grate wasn't hot enough, and the salmon stuck. Sigh... :ermm:
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    LOL. Thanks again for the input. I will give it a try tonight. B)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Ben has it right B) I do sword and tuna steaks just that way. On Sword I like just a little butter and lemon, a good steak [beef] seasonsing works well for tuna, salt, pepper,garlic. :woohoo: Good stuff :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I cooked some swordfish a couple of weeks ago in a skillet :unsure: . Not sure if I overcooked it or not but it was like eating shoe leather :angry: . I'll stick with salmon...