Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Temps?

Options
FLbobecu
FLbobecu Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to replace my gasket on my Small.

At what temp does the felt gasket usually fail? And the same goes for the nomex?

Thanks for your help! :)

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Nomex will withstand much more heat than the felt will.

However, the issue is more with the adhesive than with the gasket material. On my medium with felt, if I hold 700° for much more than 8 to 10 minutes the adhesive will begin to melt. If there is any air passage over the gasket anywhere then the felt will melt. I took an IR reading inside the egg when I began to smell the melting it read 355° on the ceramics at felt lever. The above tests were done with the very old felt gasket kits (before the past round of adhesive problems). TNW has some detailed temperature readings and graphs on his site.

The ball is felt gasket using a MAPP torch (cyclone head) at 8" in about 3 seconds time.
    gasket_bge.jpg

This is Nomex, the same torch at 8" after 10 seconds.
    gasketheatfelt.jpg

After the above picture I moved the torch flame closer to the Nomex.
    gasketnomex1.jpg

The above pictures are gasket material with direct MAPP heat exposure.

GG
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    I appreciate it. I guess I will head over the the Whiz site and see what I can find. I don't remember seeing melting points for various gaskets, but did see instructions and whatnot on the Rutland gasket.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The TNW information was heat at gasket temperatures, not melting temperatures. It is an interesting read.

A lot of people use Rutland and like it. Rutland and BGE say don't use it on the egg.

I am thinking the overall problem is more with the adhesive than the gasket material.

With a proper adjusted egg, the ceramics somewhat protect the gasket material.

GG