Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I know you were disappointed that I forgot this...

Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
edited November -1 in Off Topic
On June 6th (D-Day anniversary) I forgot to post my annual link to the recording of the live (1944) radio broadcast from NBC out of New York. Coverage started maybe around 1am when they were getting reports from Berlin radio. It really is something to play this and listen straight through. I had it on once all day while i was working, i think for the 65th anniversary of D-day (Overlord, more specifically). Anyway, if you like a little history, this is a decent dose. Hairs on the back of your neck, and all that. Kinda spooky.

Complete day, D-Day Radio Broadcast

The other thing I forgot to do was clog the board with some lame-O reference to 'Ulysses' (James Joyce) and Bloom's Day (June 16th). Ah well. No one cared for it when i DID do it. So I'm sure it wasn't missed. :laugh:

If I'd managed, I might have posted a reference to cooking with smoke:

"Two shafts of soft daylight fell across the flagged floor from the high barbicans: and at the meeting of their rays a cloud of coalsmoke and fumes of fried grease floated, turning."

or this, the passage (heavily edited) where Bloom is buying a pork kidney at the butcher's, standing behind the maid who lives/works next door. He's hoping the butcher will hurry up so Bloom can catch up and follow behind as she walks home. It's a nicely odd combination of food and lust:

"He halted before Dlugacz's window, staring at the hanks of sausages, polonies, black and white. The shiny links packed with forcemeat fed his gaze and he breathed in tranquilly the lukewarm breath of cooked spicy pig's blood.

A kidney oozed bloodgouts on the willowpatterned dish: the last. He stood by the nextdoor girl at the counter. Would she buy it too, calling the items from a slip in her hand.

"And a pound and a half of Denny's sausages" she said. His eyes rested on her vigorous hips. Woods his name is. Wonder what he does. Wife is oldfish. New blood. No followers allowed. Strong pair of arms. Whacking a carpet on the clothesline. She does whack it, by George. The way her crooked skirt swings at each whack.

The ferreteyed porkbutcher folded the sausages he had snipped off with blotchy fingers, sausagepink. Sound meat there like a stallfed heifer.

He took up a page from the pile of cut sheets. He held the page aslant patiently, bending his senses and his will, his soft subject's gaze at rest.

That crooked skirt swinging whack by whack by whack.

The porkbutcher snapped two sheets from the pile, wrapped up her prime sausages and made a red grimace.

-- Now, my miss, he said.

She tendered a coin, smiling boldly, holding her thick wrist out.

-- Thank you, my miss. And one shilling threepence change. For you, please?

Mr Bloom pointed quickly. To catch up and walk behind her if she went slowly, behind her moving hams. Pleasant to see first thing in the morning. "

A

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    awesome stike, thank for sharing...
  • no problem. kinda loses it's ooomph when i post it a couple weeks late. but it is a pretty cool site
  • Bacchus
    I was referring to the poetry, but I will listen to the D-day broadcast later in bed. To bad it's not in MP3.
  • you can get it in mp3. you can listen on-line top right, or download the mp3 files themselves, below.
  • Bacchus
    Downloading now, ty.
  • n.p.

pretty freaky. interesting to hear the speculation, and the warning that the german radio broadcast could be a fabrication....
  • Bacchus
    Saw a documentary recently(yes I know to take with salt)about how close the Germans were so the bomb before or about the same time we were. And how many of our masterminds where in fact German. Things could have gone alot different.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Stike, I for one missed the D-Day post! Also, that reading is hot!! Please know I dig it!! Thanks for the link.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • hahaha thanks. yeah "hot" is a relative term for a book written in 1922 about a day in 1904.

it was actually banned in the US as obscene... there are a few sections that were considered racy at the time, but the first time i read it, i missed most of them, they are so subtle
  • Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    Hey Stripstike, thanks for posting this, late or not.

It's incredible that the audio files are even out there. And, you pointed out another book I need to read (D-Day). My Dad had about every WWII book out, but not that one. I know what I'll be doing father's day... Egging and an MP3 in my ear. I guess my first visit to OT was well worth it. ;)
  • there are a few good d-day books, all named d-day. hahaha

there's a recent massive one out which i haven't read, but have read ambrose's book, Ryans' "The longest Day" (written when many of the principle players were still alive, and the basis of Zanuk;s movie), an account of the rangers on pointe du hoc, and a few others. lots of great books on d-day.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I just got to the beach turd, and the first book queued up on the kindle is Ulysses (finally). Thanks for priming my neurons and getting them ready to digest Joyce.

I bought some PBR to help lubricate my synapses. How's that for culture clash? A dim-witted redneck sitting on the beach in South Carolina, drinking PBR by the can, and reading Joyce on a digital reading device. Maybe I should do it all wearing cut-off blue jean shorts and a ribbed wife beater t-shirt.
  • Joyce drank Jameson I think. And if jameson weren't available, porter, and if no porter, lighterfluid. no lighterfluid? he'd drink the kerosene out of an outhouse hurricane lamp.

PBR should be fine.
    Joyce is not the book to take on vacation. trust me. my first failure with it was on vacation after graduating from architecture school. vacation is for vacation.

if you are truly interested in it, you'll be giving up on it three times. like joining the priesthood. or nunnery. sumthin like that.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Yea? Maybe I'll read smut novels with Fabio on the cover while I check out all the bikini babes from behind my mirrored shades. I'm smooth like that.
  • if you like naughty exhibitionist gals on the beach, skip to the section with gerty mcdowell.

was on my third time reading it before i realized Bloom t*gged one out :woohoo: