Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of lamb recipe

Options
egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've recieved a few emails looking for the leg of lamb recipe I cooked a couple weeks ago. You can see the picture in the archives on 8/12/2004.
Ok, I bought a full leg of lamb that was 12 pounds. I had the butcher bone and butterfly iy it, 8 pounds of meat were left. When I brought it home, that was one big piece of meat, so I rolled it out and cut it right down the middle.
I placed both cuts int a large casserole dish to marinate. Here are the ingredients....[p]1 cup dry red wine(mine was a home made Merlot)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup xttra virgin olive oil
1 medium-large head of garlic, cloves peeled and left whole to marinate with the meat.
6 sprigs of rosemary, leaves pulled from stem.
salted liberaly, this is a lot of meat, maybe a tablespoon?
fresh ground black pepper
juice from 1 lemon[p]I put the garlic cloves under the meat and poured the marinate mixture over both cuts of meat.
Covered with plastic wrap and placed in fride for 1.5 hours[p][p]The oil started to rise to the top, no problem, I flipped the meat over after 1.5 hours, covered and left on the kitchen counter for another 1 hour to bring close to room temp.[p]remove lamb from marinate sauce, keep sauce.[p]Start the egg and got it stable 350-375[p]I made the stuffing out of
chopped white onions (1 medium onion for both roasts)
1 can of Black Pearl pited black olives, sliced
crushed the garlic cloves that were marinated.
1 sprig of rosemary for each roast.

I didn't pre cook the onions or anything, just tossed everything right into the meat.[p]I them rolled up the lamb and tied it up.[p]heated a cast iron pan on the stove to sear all sides for 90 seconds each.[p]rested meat for 20 minites.[p]Cooked indirectly over a drip pan. I put the remaining marinate sauce in the drip pan. [p]Cooked to 145, temp shot to 156 during the 20 minute rest. The lamb was very tasty and tender. Mayne a lttle more than medium, slightly pink inside. Next time I will pull at 138, a like it a little more medium -rare.[p]do what you would like to this recipe, I just experimented. I think next time I might try an apricot flavored filling.....mmmmmm I had lamb cxchops at a restaraunt once and they served with an apricot based dipping sauce, that was amazing.[p][p]
[p]