Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

making lump charcoal

old truck man
old truck man Posts: 4
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I recently made a drum full of hickory charcoal. It took 2 days to make about 4 five gallon cans and some was fully "cooked" and a few pieces still had some brown. I used a few pieces of the brown to get extra smoke for flavor and it worked quite well. Anyone else tried making their own? Care to swap ideas?

Comments

• I recently made a batch of lump charcoal from Hickory wood. It took 2 days and gave me about 4 five gallon cans of charcoal, some of which was black and some only brown. I used a few pieces of the brown to get more smoke flavor and it worked quite well. Anyone else tried making their own? Care to swap ideas?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I would assume you don't live "in town" where burning like that is prohibited. :laugh: How did you control the burn?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I do not live near a town, much less in one. ;)
    I built a stand and placed a 55 gallon drum with removeable lid on the stand horizontally. I left about 2 ft of space between the ground and the barrel for the burn fire. The drum has a pipe which vents the escaping gases back into the fire to burn them. The lid has a plug which can be removed during the early firing so that moisture can escape. When the escaping vapor turns from white to almost clear I replace the plug. I split the hickory to about 3/4 to 1" thickness and filled the barrel. I used old firewood and debris to heat it. I don't know how to post a pic on here yet.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I wish I still lived on my old place in Kentucky [well, not really] I would be all over this project. My "Adult Retirement Community" here in Florida would go ballistic with setup humming away on my nickel sized lot :ohmy: :evil: :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    ah go for it Frank! Those ol' Q-tips need something to b*tch about! :woohoo:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I would love too! :evil: Problem is I don't own 120 acres of Oak, Hickory, Wild Cherry, Sassafras, and Maple any more :lol: I guess I could try some Hurricane damaged Palms! :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Ask dubah, he has made some.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • dubah
    dubah Posts: 60
    Old Truck Man,
    I've made my own, a couple of times, used a 55 gal drum with a 30 gal drum inside it, on a couple of fire bricks. Kept a fire going under the 30 gal, for hours and hours, then sealed it up and let it cool. It might have been that the quality of the "hardwood" I used wasn't "great" as lump was pretty lightweight. I'll try again when I get some "real" hardwood. A fun project, but not necessarily worth the effort.
  • It certainly was a lot of work for not much charcoal but the flavor of the meat was tops! I plan to make some charcoal from applewood this fall. I am doubling the size of my "cooker" to 2 55gal drums.