Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Public Service Announcement" - Lesson Learned

Options
Jasper
Jasper Posts: 378
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First let me say I'm one of those guys who thinks accidents happen to other people because I'm always conscious of safety in general. Well not tonight, I almost damaged one of my eyes.

I light my egg with a BernzOmatic BZ8250HT Trigger-Start Hose Torch and haven't had any problems doing so for months. Tonight a "sparkie" flew up and hit me right in the corner of my eye, in the tear duct, while lighting. I always wear gloves and stand back while lighting but a stray sparkie came right up at me. I was lucky that it only hit the corner of my eye, I can still feel the irritation. I can only imagine if it went right in the center of my eye.....ouch!

I've seen some people use modified spark shields on their torches but in case it wouldn't have helped because of the angle of the torch and the "curve ball" way the spark flew. I was lucky I flinched as the spark flew, otherwise it would've gone right in.

Anyway, from now on I'll be wearing safety glasses when lighting my egg. At least I have some safety glasses that look somewhat stylish....so I don't look like a complete tool lighting my cooker. :laugh:

I just wanted to pass this story on to remind everyone to stay safe and that ANYTHING can happen to ANYONE at ANYTIME. Safe egging everyone!

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    thanks for the message. i just got a bernzomatic and i wore a long sleeve shirt and some gloves and sunglasses, but i'll probably go out and get some actual safety glasses and some better gloves.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I caught one in the eye a year or so ago. Burned a small spot on the edge of my upper and lower lid. I somehow blinked just in time and caught the spark by pinching it between my lids before it burned the cornea.

Still hurt like Hades for a week or so. Every time I blinked the swollen burned spots were scratching the surface of the eye.

Safety glasses are an absolute must if you are looking at the starter.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I wear regular glasses anyway and so far, so good. I knew there had to be SOMETHING good about having to wear glasses! Still, I really get tired of the sparks burning my arms! Maybe it's time to go back to the starter cubes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    I bought safety glasses on the recommendation of someone here on the forum at the same time I bought my weedburner. I have been temted to start my egg nekkid but I can see it just isn't worth it.
    FWIW the flinch and blink is an involuntary reaction designed to protect you but in no way should take the place of safety eye wear. Accidents DO happen. Thanks for the post. If it saves one egger from making a stupid mistake it is worth it.
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    Jasper, Thanks for sharing. You may have very well saved someone a lot of pain and agony, possibly an eye. Several years ago I burnt my eye from a stray ember drifting from a burn pile and had to wear a patch temporarily while my eye healed. It really makes you think about how you should take care of yourself.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Even safer is a fire starter cube. You light it, it lights the charcoal while you watch in safety. Heck you can even walk away from it for a minute to grab a beer. Try that with the torch.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Jasper....Thanks! I have been warned before, and still remain stubborn. I think this is the final "knock knock" warning...I will start wearing glasses tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder. (IMO...Once you have been warned, and warned, if you don't react, you are just asking for a problem. So I will listen this time. Hopefully others will follow.) Thanks. :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Amen Brother!!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Great point! I keep a pair in my slide out drawers on my Egg table but I have to admit I use them less than 50% of the time. Thanks for the reminder.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    After 40 years of working in manufacturing, the only time I have worn safety glasses is lighting the Egg. -RP
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    thank you,

mrtoad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    thank you,

mrtoad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    Options
    Got my attention. I routinely use safety goggles woodworking, but never considered the need when torching the Egg.