Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Individual grilled meatloafs

FlyFishNC
FlyFishNC Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I really like grilled individual meat loafs. I 'discovered' this a few years back when I misread a recipe for a big meat loaf that I was supposed to put in the oven for a while. She wasn't too happy since everything was based around the meatloaf's time. When I scanned the recipe, I thought it said bake for a half hour. It was supposed to bake for a lot longer than that and glaze it for a half hour....whoops. So, I divided it up and made small individual meat loafs and threw them on the grill. They turned out ok. After a few batches she's nailed down the meat mixing and I've got the grilling part worked out.

Now, enter the BGE.... I fired up the egg a few weeks ago (right after I picked it up) and cooked some meat loafs direct at 350 on the grate. They were too smokey for her. Our daughter and I thought they rocked. I was able to convinced her to let me try it again since I was a green egghead :).

This time, I raised the grid to the felt with my homemade GRS (Grid Raising System, comprised of four bolts). Heated the egg up to 400. Very Nice!!! Not quite as smokey and we all liked them. So, big win!

Glazed and ready to come off the grate:
897309869_JEAJq-L.jpg

Let's eat:
897309866_SBeUW-L.jpg

Comments

• ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Those look really good FlyFish, the wife is a huge Meatloaf Fan. I never thought of making it on the EGG, my meatloaf mixture tends to be a little on the soft side. Care to share the Meat mixing secret?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Yumm, BURGERS! :lol:

Those look good - and quicker too. Have you tried them indirect?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Looks great, I would be interested in your recipe as well.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    That looks good, but: you cannot say "After a few batches she's nailed down the meat mixing" and then not give us the facts........ ;):)
    I like tbe direct as I cook 90% direct.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    We've been making pretty much the same thing since we got our first Egg. We call them grilled Salisbury steaks, but Jersey Girl uses the same recipe she uses for meatballs. We cooked these on the Mini on our last camping trip.
    fcql2a.jpg
  • FlyFishNC
    FlyFishNC Posts: 41
    Here is the recipe. It's real quick and simple to prepare. This will make four - five loafs that are the size of your hand.

Meat Loafs:
    1 pound of ground beef
    2 eggs
    1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
    1 pack of lipton onion soup mix
    3/4 sleeve of saltine crackers (finely crushed)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and create patties.

Sauce:
    1/2 cup ketchup (we like Heinz, but use your favorite)
    1/4 cup mustard
    1/4 cup brown sugar

Mix up and spread on the loafs when they are ready to glazed. I usually glaze both sides a couple times before serving. I also reserve a little sauce as my wife likes to use it as a dip.

As far as the secret, the eggs and finely crushed crackers help to hold the meat together. Also, I transfer to the grate with a lightly oiled spatula and flip them the first couple times with the spatula so they don't break apart. After the second flip, I switch to some tongs. Tongs will also help in keeping that glaze on the meat loaf.

eric
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Thanks FlyFish, i will definately give these a try!