Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter for Pizza??

Options
lowandslow
lowandslow Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got a platesetter for my XL egg. The guy at the bbq shop told me that I do not need a pizza stone if I have the placesetter. He said he even confirmed that with the BGE Company. Is this true? Has anyone tried it? If so, what results did you have?
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    lowandslow, I cannot speak to the XL, but I tried cooking a few pies directly on my plate setter in the large, it didn't work real well, but I think I stumbled on a method of making homemade charcoal... give it a whirl, but I think in the end you'll be back at the store buying a stone from the same guy, Marc
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    The pizza stone with an air gap ( wads of aluminum foil or 3/4 inch copper elbows ) keep the intense radiant heat from burning the bottom of the pizza. I use parchment paper between the pizza and the stone.

Use the BGE brand of pizza stone, it is thicker and made from hi-temp ceramic.

Happy pizza !!
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Did you ask the sales guy if he ever cooked a pizza using the "no pizza stone method"? :huh:
    If you like black, crispy pizza crust it ought to work just fine. :laugh:
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Don’t have an EXLG, but I have to think the results will be the same with any Egg…
    Set the Egg up with the plate setter (legs down) to make it an oven. Bake a pie on a stone that is spaced above the plate setter (I’ve gotten into using the grid atop the setter with the stone atop the grid) with something, like the feet, copper elbows, foil balls….
    I really don’t think you will be happy with just baking a pie on the plate setter!!!
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    It appears your BBQ guys does not know what he is talking about. The plate setter is not for cooking on at all, period. It is to set up for indirect cooking and to have the correct cooking items placed on it for cooking.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I would take him a charcoal crust pizza then order a stone from ceramic grill store. I would bet that he is lying about anyone from BGE telling him that ;)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Sure you can. There's no difference between using the platesetter by itself and using a pizza stone on a raised grid. You may find that want to cook the pie before the stone completely heats up, but it depends on the pie and the temperature you are cooking at.

That said, you may find you get better results easier if you do use a pizza stone and the plate setter together. I've never used the little feet method, just the stone and plate setter and never had problems with burnt crust, but I've only tried a couple of different types of dough and never tried Neopolitan high temp pizza.

But what the heck, try it and see how it comes out. Pizza dough is cheap, you can usually buy it from grocery stores at low cost. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • ebrooker007
    ebrooker007 Posts: 156
    Options
    I use my platesetter all the time for pizza. I usually cook at lower temperatures about 450. I have never had a problem with burning until I tried to do a
    pizza a 700 degrees. I do have a BGE pizza stone but I have never used it for pizza.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I have been experimenting for the past few months with pizza in the egg. I burned every pizza I tried to cook on the plate setter, temps were 700+. When I use cheap charcoal and can only get the egg to 500 the burn from the plate setter is much less and the pizza is edible (but the pizza is not that good at 500, might as well use the oven.) I bought my egg pizza stone last week. I turn the plate setter on its legs, place a 2" high cast iron round pan on top, then I place the pizza stone on top of the pan. The pizza ends up slightly higher than the rim of the egg opening. It’s the best pizza I ever made... so far, now I just have to get the dough right.

Again, you need the plate setter and stone to make pizza at 750+ degrees.