Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboard Bacon Recipe with Morton Tender Quick?

Options
GulfCoastBBQ
GulfCoastBBQ Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to try making some buckboard bacon but the only recipe I have been able to find here is the one by Thirdeye using the Hi Mountain seasoning kit. Anybody know of a link to a recipe using a cure that might be locally available like Morton Tender Quick?

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning GulfCoastBBQ:

The only one I know is the one on the Dizzy Pig website CLICK HERE it is for Canadian Bacon, but don't see why it wouldn't work using a pork butt. I've made the Canadian Bacon many times using the pork loin and it is DELISH! HTH

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Here is one for using Tenderquick.

thirdeye's TQ cure: I would modify the Mortons base cure to the following... Per ONE pound of pork loin or butt:

1 Tablespoon of Tenderquick
    1 teaspoon of brown sugar
    1 teaspoon of maple sugar

Add Sprinkle of black pepper to the meat before adding the curing mixture, maybe a little more after the soak-out.

(I think the HM Buckboard cure has a hint of garlic powder in it too, but the label does not mention it, so if you want to add some that's up to you)

My instructions for the curing process and times using Tenderquick are exactly the same as the ones on my site for a HiMountain Buckboarded items (loin..... 6 day cure turning daily, long soak-out, overnight rest in the fridge and then smoke, butt ....8, 9, or 10 days depending on the thickness of the boned butt, long soak-out, overnight rest in the fridge and then smoke.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    Here is a link to the Canadian Bacon off the Morton website.
    http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?RID=117
    I have not used it on a butt yet but I have done the loin. I also use Tender Quick to make Corned beef and sausage. One bag will last you an eternity but it is nice to have and easily found. Just remember to soak the meat in water for at least 24hr. changing the water two or three times. It will be very salty if you don't.
  • Rooster K
    Options
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I used Thirdeye's TQ based cure as he noted above, on a pork belly recently. It was eggcellent.
    Please let us know how you choose to proceed and take pics. :)
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Seth, thanks for posting the Morton link. I noticed the "Pea Meal Bacon". Have you tried that?
  • GulfCoastBBQ
    GulfCoastBBQ Posts: 145
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, I will take some pics when I get rolling. I need to find some cure first...
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Publix carries TQ. I had my local store order it in since they didnt have it at that particular location, since I am to cheap to pay freight.
  • Rooster K
    Options
    No I have not tryed that(yet) but you need to make a pastrami using a whole brisket.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    keep in mind that the TQ and Hi-Mountain curers are basically just ready-made, ready-prepared cures. you can order some pink salts all by themselves, and then add the sugars and salts in other ratios depending on the flavors you are looking for, too
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I use the Morton's Sugar Cure for my buckboard and Canadian bacon at the rate of 1 tablespoon Morton’s per pound of meat and 1 teaspoon white sugar per pound of meat.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Morton's has admitted that Sugar Cure and Tenderquick are now the same product. With the exception of the extra packet of spices that come with the Sugar Cure.

The rep I talked to claimed the price of sugar was the reason to replace the old version of Sugar Cure with Tenderquick. He went on to say that since they already had name recognition and market share, they didn't want to eliminate Sugar Cure.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Good to know, thanks. I have a old box on Tenderquick that I hadn't found a use for.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.