Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Char Siu

Options
Dukester
Dukester Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a package of Char Siu seasoning mix and have a few questions: what is the best cut of pork to use this on? Is it best used as a dry rub or mixed with water as a marinade? Is this what is used to make the traditional Chinese BBQ pork found in restaurants? Any tips or suggestions very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I think it was Ross In Ventura that had a post, Richard FL had a different post and I had a post I am sure there are others. If you go to the search and type in char sui there are some great posts regarding the subject.

I am not sure who had the plumb sauce with the cook but that was a nice touch.

I used tenderloin.
    charsui1.jpg

charsui2.jpg

charsui3.jpg

charsui4.jpg

charsui5.jpg

GG
  • Lostinmadnez
    Options
    Tenderloins are nice, but the taste a bit boring. Since they are sliced thinly, nearly any cut will do. I use shoulder or belly.
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    I've used this recipe to make Char Siu for my Mum Bao:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_(Hum_Bao)

I modified it a bit though:

Egged Char Siu Bao (Hum Bao)
    Adapted from http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_(Hum_Bao)

Step 1: Make the Char Siu (BBQ'd Pork)
    Ingredients:
    ▪ About 2-2.5 lbs of pork butt/shoulder (Boneless country style ribs basically)
    ▪ 1 1/2 TB dark soy
    ▪ 1 1/2 TB light soy
    ▪ 1 1/2 TB honey
    ▪ 1 1/2 TB Oyster Sauce (make sure Oysters are actually in the ingredients)
    ▪ 2 TB whiskey
    ▪ 3 1/2 TB Hoisin sauce
    ▪ pinch pepper
    ▪ 1/2 tsp five spice powder

Method:
    ▪ Marinate for 4 hours or up to overnight.
    ▪ Smoke at 250 with guava wood smoke until 195 internal temp
    ▪ Let cool to room temp, and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to overnight

Step 2: Make the filling
    Ingredients:
    ▪ 4 tsp oyster sauce
    ▪ 1 1/2 tsp dark soy
    ▪ 4 tsp ketchup
    ▪ 1 TB sugar
    ▪ pinch pepper
    ▪ 6 TB chicken broth
    ▪ 1 tsp sesame oil
    ▪ 1 TB peanut or vegetable oil
    ▪ 2/3 cup minced onions
    ▪ 1 cup roast pork
    ▪ 2 tsp Shao-Hsing wine or sherry

Method:
    ▪ Mix oyster sauce through sesame oil and set aside.
    ▪ Mince your onions and pork.
    ▪ Heat Wok on egg and put in the oil. Add onions and cook until onions start to turn brown. Add pork stir-frying for a few more minutes until pork is heated through, about one minute.
    ▪ Add wine or sherry, and mix well, cooking for another minute or so. Add sauce ingredients and stir-fry until mixture is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and put in bowl. Let cool to room temp then refrigerate for 4 hours or up to overnight (yes, again!) You can make the dough while you let this cool and rest in the fridge.

Make the Dough
    Ingredients:
    ▪ 4 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
    ▪ ¾ c sugar
    ▪ 1 cup warm tap water
    ▪ 4 cups bread flour
    ▪ 1 egg, beaten
    ▪ ½ c peanut or vegetable oil

Make the bread dough

Making the bao!
    ▪ Roll a piece of the dough into a golfball size lump. Flatten into a 3-4” round, flat disc. Add a spoonful of filling and pinch two sides shut. Turn the bao a half turn, and pinch the opposite two sides shut. Pull the other open corners shut together. You'll be pinching a total of 4 times. Then do a final pinch, and twist the whole bottom together to make sure it's sealed.
    ▪ Don't make your dough too thin, or the filling will bust out when you go to bake it.
    ▪ Place you bao sealed-side down on a wax paper square. Repeat for all your bao.

▪ Let rest in a warm spot for about an hour, or until they've risen a bit.

When risen, lightly mist the bao with water and using a pastry brush, brush the outside with a beaten egg. Bake in a 350 degree egg on a pizza stone on a plate setter for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    OK so it is 5:50am and I am now salivating for some pork tenderloin, oh if I did not have to work! :P
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    GG,

Thirdeye has a great plum sauce in his Plum Pork recipe.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    country rib roast from the loin works good, its fattier and you get ribs and loin when you cut it up. i wanted red like the takeout places, only way to get that is food coloring :laugh: you can omit the food coloring

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=165082&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC00170a.jpg

I make it often using a package mix like you have. I like the liquid method. Using strips of butt work well for me. I also make extra and vacuum seal just one or two strips in each package, this is great for fried rice and stuff like that.

I have a hanger with a built in drip pan/heat shield, but cooking it indirect on the grate works too. You need a high temp so it will get sticky and glaze up, but too high will flash that sugar so be careful.

DSC02381a.jpg

DSC00190a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

That is probably the one I was thinking of, thanks for the correction...

I see thirdeye has posted below so I would expect a link to be there.

GG