Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt - Small Egg

Options
FLbobecu
FLbobecu Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, was thinking of starting my first butt on the Egg early Sunday morning (around 5am). From what I have read, I should be expecting 1.5-2 hours per pound.

I have exactly a 5lb butt, and I'm expecting 10 hours, but will be planning for 12 hours (just in case), so I figure if I start at 5am, I should be ready to eat no later than 5pm. We plan on eating @ 6:30pm or so.

A few questions. I have RO and Publix Greenwise (according to Whiz burns a little longer than RO). If I fill to fire ring, I should hopefully have enough fuel for 12 hours. At least I'm hoping I do.

I plan to:

Sort through the pieces, find large pieces for the bottom, then medium and small pieces to fill out the bowl/ring.

Rub with yellow mustard, Byrons Butt rub and let sit overnight in the fridge (of course covered).

Fill drip pan with a little water and apple juice.

My questions:

This isn't my first low-n-slow, but it is my first extended l-n-s cook and my first on the BGE.

Should I be lighting in multiple places or just one for this?

How should I arrange my wood chunks for enough smoke until internal temp is 140? I've read doing it in a "S" shape works for the Egg.

Do you spritz your butt? I've read some do. Waiting 2-3 hours then spritzing once every hour. And some that say do not open the grill until it's done.

Where's the best place to put the temp probe?

Thanks so much, for your time! :)

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I havent had my Small but a couple months but of course have had my large for several years. You timing sounds about right to me for pulled pork but it will need a internal temp of 190-200.If you are doing sliced it will not take that long. Remember with pork if you have to reheat it just a little there is not much differance IMO so always error on the side of comming off sooner than you need. As to the lump set up. 10 hours should be no problem. Don't get to worried about how the lumps goes in. Especially since you will be around off and on. If it runs out, which I doubt, just take the butt off and add some more then but butt back on after innitial lump burn off. It will be fine. I just light one spot in the center and scatter my wedge smoke wood threw the lump. I also remove the butt and add more wood at about 175ish as well. Don't get real carried away on the rubs, baste, ect. I have tryed shooting up, soaking, insertion, you name it and cant tell much differance than just a good old heavy rub of your choice and call it good. Just toss that butt on at 250-275, stich a meat probe to the deepest point and let'er cook to 190ish, relax and enjoy the day! ;)
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have only done one butt on my small egg, I mostly do low n slows on the large. In my limited experience, I filled the lump up over the fire ring. I really just dumped it in, and mixed some wood chunks throughout. I lit it in about four places with the mapp torch (12,3,6,9, and center), set the vents, and let it rise to 250 before throwing the meat on at around 1am. My Maverick woke me up at 5am with a low temp, so I opened the vent a little more, and it held without any adjustment the rest of the way. Put the temp probe in the center most part, away from the bone. It was a challenge because the butt is nearly touching the dome in the small, and the probe sticking out complicates the issue. Good luck and enjoy.
  • FLbobecu
    Options
    jabinns wrote:
    I have only done one butt on my small egg, I mostly do low n slows on the large. In my limited experience, I filled the lump up over the fire ring. I really just dumped it in, and mixed some wood chunks throughout. I lit it in about four places with the mapp torch (12,3,6,9, and center), set the vents, and let it rise to 250 before throwing the meat on at around 1am. My Maverick woke me up at 5am with a low temp, so I opened the vent a little more, and it held without any adjustment the rest of the way. Put the temp probe in the center most part, away from the bone. It was a challenge because the butt is nearly touching the dome in the small, and the probe sticking out complicates the issue. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks. I have a smaller cut - ugh - butt, lol, and I did a dry test with it still in the package to see how it will fit. It's perfect. Plenty of room all around and dome closes without any problems. I could probably do a 6/6.25 lb without much problem. But there's only 3 of us, so 5lbs (I've heard you have about 60% edible - 3lbs finished product) will be more than enough. :)
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Your plan sounds good. I have cooked a half dozen or more butts on my small and it works very well. I would suggest making a wiggle rod, as the bottom grate on my small has gotten clogged with ash after 8 or 10 hours. When that happens the fire temp starts to drop. You can make one out of any piece of wire or coat hanger. You go in from the bottom vent and wiggle it through the grate to get some of the accumulated ash to fall through the grate and increase airflow. Look on thirdeyebbq.com website for a pic of what I am talking about. I eventually ordered the tool from thirdeye.

I have fit up to 8 pound butts on my small without any trouble.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • FLbobecu
    Options
    ibanda wrote:
    Your plan sounds good. I have cooked a half dozen or more butts on my small and it works very well. I would suggest making a wiggle rod, as the bottom grate on my small has gotten clogged with ash after 8 or 10 hours. When that happens the fire temp starts to drop. You can make one out of any piece of wire or coat hanger. You go in from the bottom vent and wiggle it through the grate to get some of the accumulated ash to fall through the grate and increase airflow. Look on thirdeyebbq.com website for a pic of what I am talking about. I eventually ordered the tool from thirdeye.

I have fit up to 8 pound butts on my small without any trouble.

Thanks! I will be ordering one from 3rdeye very soon. For tomorrow's cook, I will be fabricating my own. Thanks for reminding me. :)