Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE & Platanos

Options
James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cook a lot of Platanos.. however, on the BGE, they have been difficult. I burn them.. I undercook them.. I do everything except cook them perfectly.[p]Platanos need a nice steady red hot coal under them for 15 minutes or so each side..[p]Does anyone else use the BGE to cook them with success? If so, how?[p]
I'm having trouble!![p]Thanks,
-James[p]

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    James:[p]What is your dome temperature when cooking them? What per cent of the grill is filled with them when you cook them? Do you brush them with anything?
    [/b]
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    And Platanos are ??[p]Well I will Google it and find out.

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    I'd elevate the grill (on firebricks on their side) and cook them direct but high, as with spatchcock chicken. Brush with oil so they won't stick and turn every five minutes.[p]Bob
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    James,[p]I'd cook more platanos if I had a couple recipes. Please post how you cook yours.[p]TIA[p]Ken
  • James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]I cook peel them and cut them in half. Then I just cook them right over the fire. I don't put anything on them, but when I pull them off, I put some butter on them.. I'm not really having as bad a time as my post makes it sound, but sometimes they are difficult to get right.[p]To grill them, you have to get the really ripe ones that are very yellow with some black. The green ones are good but for other recipes.[p]I usually cook 3 or 4 at a time. I have noticed that they do better on a raised grid. And the ideal temp to cook them is probably around 300, but I often have a hotter grid to deal with, as these are always the last items to cook..[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    James:[p]The temperature is about right and the raised grid helps. The only thing I can suggest is to cook them on the sides of the grid. This way you are getting the direct heat just not as intense if you were directly over the coals.
    [/b]