Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Paula Dean cookware users here?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in Off Topic
like other couples who have been married 44 years we have a collection of stove top (electric) pots, pans and skillets that are favs, but few match! I'm not embarrassed using them, but "someone else" has a sister who utters tsk tsk tsk when she sees our motley collection. I don't want to send a lot of money, but have noticed a Paula Dean set at a local store on sale regularly for about $120. I have yet to see one in person so maybe I/we wouldn't even like it. OTOH in the last year we have replaced a few skillets with Food Network brand and happen to love them, yet have paid more than $120 already for them! Should we just go the FN route and let it be?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Ron, I haven't seen the PD stuff, but just a single pan in my All Clad collection costs more than that set. I would be willing to bet it is quality stuff or she wouldn't risk her name on it. -RP
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks, Randy - the thing I should have added is next year we will be remodeling our kitchen and probably switching back to gas vs. the JennAire electric. Guess that is part of my reluctance to spend a lot now.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Egghead-Sooner
    Options
    Im not sure about Palua Deen but back in the day when they sold Emeril's cookware, it was manufactored at the All Clad plant, only difference was it said Emeril rather than All Clad! If you can afford it, All Clad really is a step above anything else. Whenever I cook at my families house I can notice a signifigant difference in performance compared to the All Clad.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Sorry…Haven’t seen the PD stuff, but I will share this:
    A few years ago I went with a Tramontina “Professional Quality” set that was on sale and very reasonability priced.
    If memory serves; I got a Med. sized sauté’, two sauce pans and a stock pot (all with lids and strainers) for less than $160.
    The set is of a heavy Stainless Steel (Chromium / Nickel content 18/10) with tri-clad bottoms, riveted handles and of course NO non-stick crap!
    Later I added a tri-clad (total pan, not just the bottom) Lg. sauté’ pan that cost about $50 more then the entire set! BTW, that too, was of the Tramontina brand.
    I am extremely happy with this cookware and wish I would have had it long ago!
    I guess I’d say…Take a good look at it, give it a thump and if you like the sound and feel….
    My criteria are heavy side walls, extra heavy tri-clad bottoms (if not the entire pan), tight fitting lids and riveted handles…I have had too many welded handles break over the years!
    Actually a single clad bottom (usually copper) may be alright too, but no matter a heavy bottom really is a must in my mind. The heavier the bottom, the better it will keep foods from scorching!!
    In either case: A copper clad bottom (but don't be fooled by a thin copper coating that is light weight, look for the heavy bottom) or the tri-clad bottom is an absolute must in my book. And…Both of these (a good clad or a tri-clad) will have a heavy sounding "thump" when flicked with a finger...Not a "ring"!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i dont think i would ever buy a matching set of pans to impress anyone, now i have some impressive pans that are designed to do their intended purpose. they make pans out of different materials because different pans are used differently, they are not supposed to all be made the same :laugh: when i got my cluney with the bigger burners and simmer plate most of my pans didnt work out well, i now have some that cook well on a simmer plate, and others that can take the heat. i would wait til you upgrade the stove, cooked all week on vacation on an electric with my lodge pans, what a hassle using those pans on a wimpy electric, i think that stove was designed for those cheap teflon pans :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Ron,

Did you skimp on your grill?

Spend the money on some nice cookware, but don't buy a "set" - get pieces that you will use. Sets normally come with one or two pieces you'll never touch.

I like the All-Clad stainless myself. It costs more, sure, but it is better and will last forever.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Egghead-Sooner wrote:
    Im not sure about Palua Deen but back in the day when they sold Emeril's cookware, it was manufactored at the All Clad plant, only difference was it said Emeril rather than All Clad!

Actually, All-Clad is manufactured in Pennsylvania. Emerilware is made in China.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    This is great advice from Fidel!
    If a “set” has all sort of stuff you will never use, what is the point in buying it?
    I was lucky that way…
    As everything in the “Boxed Set” that I got is something I use often. Granted, some more than others, but it all gets used.
    How can you go wrong with sauce pans, a stock pot and a sauté pan?
  • Egghead-Sooner
    Options
    Hmmm thats news to me. I guess when you ask a low ranking sales associate at Bed Bath and Beyond a question you'll get a cheap answer. But I guess All Clad outsources, When I bought my set I got two free pans, an aluminum clad dutch oven and roasting pan and they where both made in China.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    she tsks tsks tsks because your set doesn't match?

that sort of ignorance really Ps my off.

there isn't a chef in the world whose set matches.

what do you think julia child'd say if some snob said her pots didn't match?
    sorry man, but the S.I.L. is just ignorant about cooking, apparently
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i agree with others. ..i have a total mish-mash of stuff ...pick specific items cause i like them. ..couldn't care a less what they look like ...after a number of years, the grease stains give them class as far as i'm concerned!! . ..only pieces of mine that match are my le creuset pots ...i've bought them at different times when they are on sale and when i could afford them at the outlet store, but i always bye the same green color, so they do match up from that respect ...otherwise, i have some le-creuset, some caphalon, some stainless steel, some tin lined copper ....and some cast iron ....and some of it is upwards of 50 - 60 years old and still cranking away (oldest piece is probably my venerable aluminum turkey roasting pan - that one may be as much as 80 years old, i'm not sure) .. ..
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ron,
    If you go back to gas, have a good look at two burner induction top. They are amazing. Also, if you are going to take the plunge on new cookware, make sure it is induction rated.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON