Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Testing Pizza Image

Options
Luvmyegg
Luvmyegg Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pizza.jpg
<p />Just made a pizza on my egg. Really good! Now I want to add some wood flavor to it like they do in those wood fired pizza places. What kind of wood would I use. Put it in dry over the lump or soak first? I don't really want a smoked pizza.

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Luv My Egg, just my opinion here, but I think just a load of fresh lump will give you the smoke flavor that you are looking for. Not over powering, but just a hint of smoke. Of course, the brand of lump makes a difference. I wouldn't use mesquite or maple, but an oak or a hickory would be nice.

[ul][li]Meat & Poultry Questions?[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Luv My Egg,
    I love smoke on my pizza, and since they are done in 7 minutes or so, they don't pick up that much smoke. I toss in a handful of hickory chips just before I put the pie in, no soaking.
    TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Luv My Egg, I think there is a difference between wood fired brick oven pizza and adding smoking wood to flavor your pizza.
    For most breads and Pizza cooks, plain charcoal is sufficent in smoke to tint the doughs and ingredients.
    You can overpower the flavor of the pizza with too much smoke.
    The smoke from a log fired brick oven is drawn out and away from the pizza..The pizza is way back in the ovens brick surface. Thus the really long handles on the pizza peels.
    C~W[p]

• Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    Luv My Egg,
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll give them a try!