Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Large for a Newbie

Options
smoker62
smoker62 Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally decided and picked up a large tonight. My wife bought it for my birthday present. Along with a plate setter, pizza stone , ash tool , grid lifter , big jar of Bad Byrons Butt Rub. I had my choice between the xl and large , for the first time in my life I didnt get the biggest, baddest, best. It was a hard choice but I think the XL was just overkill for us . Usually cook for two to four . An occasional pool party with ten or so. I still have my Genesis in a pinch. Now I am building a cypress table from the Whiz plans and deciding what to cook first . Any suggestions for a newbie. Cant wait to try some long cooks but figure I better start simple. Digi Q BB Guru looks like the ticket for Ultimate contol.

Comments

• Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    Congrats! I did the same thing with choosing the L or the XL just last week. Good word by many of the eggheads.

After yesterday's first cook, I'm totally happy I went with the Large. Got plenty of racks and accessories already...and the sky's the limit. Sounds like you are in the same position already.

Try a few things like I did yesterday. I needed a weekend day to pull it off, but certainly don't wait a few days to try it out. :)

I don't know how to link my thread but you might be able to see it from my profile page. Anyway, have fun and enjoy it!

It's not hype...it just really isn't.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I hate it when I do that - post in the wrong spot.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

A couple of thoughts...

Congratulations!!! Good choice from your above comments.

Read the instructions, watch the video and calibrate your dome thermometer.

With the money you saved pick up tjv's (Ceramic Grill Store) Adjustable Rig & Spider and Thirdeye's GridLift.

DigiQ take a close look at the Stoker before buying. Both are great tools and do somewhat the same thing. The Stoker has a lot more options.

On your second egg, get another large.

Things to cook, think what you are hungry for and cook that. A lot of fun cooking and good eats ahead for you and the family.

Great B-Day present, give hugs and kisses where due.

GG
  • smoker62
    Options
    Thanks guys , I did read all your posts from your profile link Fornia. Great pics , your making me jealous already. I may not be able to wait for the table completion to try mine out. Didnt take me long to get it put together , now I think I will try it out just sitting on its feet on my stamped concrete patio. I will keep it off the wood deck for now. I think pizza and chicken first , then some ribs. So many good choices from all the research.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    It's all experiments.....I have cooked more chicken then anything, but I love ribs and have done them a few times!!! I am very protective of my egg and it's LOVE!!! I enjoy every aspect of the cooking process on it!!! Just do what you feel!!! ;)
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    Options
    I bought some of Bad Byrons Butt Rub last week. It is fantastic.

I've only had my large since December. My problem, so many things to try, so little time.

Soft pretzels are the best on my large.
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    Options
    You can't mess this up, and it is the best chicken you've had. Really shows off the egg.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have two lges in different parts of the country. I cooked on each one of them for a tleast a month while I was building my tables.
    I bought 4or 5 big pavers $2.00 each, to get the egg up off the ground a little, then used the feet. I think you could use it that way forever if need be, plenty stable.
    Hint; put one of the feet directly under the hinge, then place the other two evenly around the egg, 12, 4, 8 positions B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • smoker62
    Options
    Thanks , I will do just that until my table is done. I certainly dont want to wait. It just seemed a little tippy with the lid open but that was sitting on my carpet without the feet. I know , I know, but I had to put it together in the AC, it was 90 here yesterday. Now I have it sitting next to my recliner like a new puppy just waiting for a trip outside. :woohoo:

Seriously I cant wait to get the time to fire it up. I bought a Oregon Scientific remote food probe for now. We will see how it holds up until I get a thermo pen or better yet a Digi-Q.I had Bass Pro Gift cards to use up.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    smoker62 wrote:
    Thanks , I will do just that until my table is done. I certainly dont want to wait. It just seemed a little tippy with the lid open but that was sitting on my carpet without the feet. I know , I know, but I had to put it together in the AC, it was 90 here yesterday. Now I have it sitting next to my recliner like a new puppy just waiting for a trip outside. :woohoo:

You mean you didn't cook on it when you put it together??? That's un-heard of :laugh: :woohoo:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • smoker62
    Options
    Jai-Bo wrote:
    smoker62 wrote:

You mean you didn't cook on it when you put it together??? That's un-heard of :laugh: :woohoo:

I know , it was late . I may as well have , I didnt sleep all night thinking of what and how to cook. Tonight is the ticket .