Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Road Trip with BGE: BBQ & Swap Meet yesterd

Options
JBUG99999
JBUG99999 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We took our BGE for its first road trip yesterday. We cooked for everyone at a BBQ & Swap Meet. We had a fabulous time and everything went well. It could have been a little cooler, but I guess we can't have everything.

Our Egg Crate creation went pretty smooth. Unfortunately, upon completion, we realized it was about 3-4 inches too tall to fit in either of our vehicles. :( So, we borrowed an Explorer with a short bed on the back (Sport Track?). Here are pictures of the Egg in the back of the "truck." You may notice we had a little over an inch to spare! :woohoo: Luckily, the fold up tables fit between the carrying handles on the crate.

ce88cfa3.jpg

f114a7d3.jpg

d7c8b6b3.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of us taken throughout the day:

77be5107.jpg

8c04aa4b.jpg

9099311c.jpg

f379ac17.jpg

Our day started with Monkey Bread. We did five loaves at one time. Here's a picture of the last one before I sliced it up:

ba5ece3a.jpg

Then, we put a stuffed pork loin on. While that was cooking, we served up some of Egret's ham. That was a huge hit and was gone before we had a chance to snap a picture. (Thanks, Egret!!!)

Here's a couple pictures of the pork loins fresh off the Egg:

ae9b250b.jpg

a7363f9f.jpg

5f892115.jpg

e9dc0933.jpg

Next, we did some Honey Chicken breasts. Here's a picture of the last ones in the pan before they were gone, too:

f283280c.jpg

Next we grilled up some Veggie Sticks. These tasted fabulous, but weren't very popular with this crowd of mostly guys craving protein. Here's a picture of the first batch:

e8a6c307.jpg

We only cooked about 1/3 of the veggies that we brought. We cooked some of them for dinner tonight, and I guess we'll cook some more tomorrow. They taste great, so it's no punishment for us! :laugh:

Our grand finale was steak. These were VERY popular and vanished as fast as they came off the grill, so no pictures to share. Sorry!

We wrapped things up with desert Egg-style. I made one pan of apple crisp and two pans of peach cobbler. This was popular and disappeared quickly, although everyone said they were stuffed and couldn't eat another bite. :woohoo:

Here's a picture of Mr. JBug99999 manning the fire:

3151c1a9.jpg

And, last but not least, an action shot of our BGE on the upside-down crate that converts to an on-the-road table:

0f60f3e2.jpg

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Wow! Nice post and terrific looking food! You two are a couple of eggaholics! lol I'll bet you sold a few folks on buying an Egg during the day too.

Mark
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    Thanks, Mark!

Yes, I think we sold three BGEs yesterday. LOL Welcome to the new Eggheads! :P

The guy who hosted the event brought out his gasser in case we couldn't keep the food cranking out fast enough. He never lit it. :silly:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Great post!

FriendsDontletT-Shirt.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Wow Julie, you guys cooked a bunch of great things!! That's awesome!! Thanks for sharing the terrific pictures!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Julie, you are an eggcellent ambassador for the BGE. Those people were lucky to have tried you many cooks. Thanks for the pics. :)
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Julie:

Looks like y'all were great Eggbassators yesterday! You certainly put out a large and varied amount of food to represent the EGG.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Wow it looks like you cooked a lot of food. I bet you gad a great time. Tim ;)
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    Thanks, Jay! And, thanks again for your offer to help. The only time we had a lull was while the pork loin was cooking. But, we had the ham to keep things moving, thank goodness!

I think we're going to do it again in the fall, when it's not so hot.
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

We had a great time and enjoyed sharing the Egg with so many people. Everyone was impressed with the food coming off the "grill." It was a great opportunity to share that it's not really just a "grill," and we were able to truly educate people about the versatility of the Egg.