Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt Smoke on the BGE - Question

Options
Brazilian_Egg
Brazilian_Egg Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a quick question... Smoking two Boston Butts on the XL BGE for the first time - Dome is at 250, grate is at 210 - what do I go by?

Dome temp is measured by stock thermometer (not calibrated btw) and the grate temp is from digital thermometer...

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    I'v egone by dome 225 to 250 or so. You'll be fine
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Just keep the dome temp at 250. It's hard to tell you which one to go by because it's just like asking me which one of your thermo's is right. I don't actually know. I just know if it was me I would just go off the dome. The dome typicaly runs around 25 degrees hotter than the grate. You've got 40 which is ok too or it may be because you have that hunk of cold meat right there by it. Either way your ok, just keep it where you have it and don't start trying to lower the dome to 230 or anything crazy. 250 dome and you will be fine.
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Options
    I am doing 2 Butts as we speak err type, Dome 250 Grid 225.
  • Brazilian_Egg
    Options
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the help.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Bernardo,

I don't have my dome thermometer clipped from the inside. The clip is on the stem and I just slide it in the dome hole.
    The main reason is so I can pull it and verify dome temp with my thermopen.
    If needed I can calibrate the thermometer and never have to lift the lid.
    Kent Madison MS
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Lei'd-n-Egg Posts: 289
    Options
    Bernardo, thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I agree with all too. Go by 250 dome and you'll be safe. Make sure you're stable and don't play around with it too much. Good luck!

Kent, that is a smart idea to leave you dome therm free so you can swap for the thermopen check. Thanks for the tip.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    That is why I always use the dome temp. There are a lot of variations when measuring temp at the grate level ie: cold meat, heat wash etc. The dome temp is much more stable and far enough away to not be affected by cold meat.