Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza cook book

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 780
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
looking for ideas for my daughter's birthday - this is the summer to learn to cook pizza on egg -

thanks

mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    Mr Toad,

I found this book in the store last year ... it may just what you are looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Pizza-Grill-Feisty-Fire-Roasted-Recipes/dp/1600850065/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274206719&sr=8-1

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Unknown
    Options
    I would suggest you send an email to "Primeggister1'. He is the "Pizza King" of the Forum - and a hoser to boot.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    I like American Pie by Peter Reinhart. He has dough recipes for all types of pizza.

I've perused the book mentioned by Chef Charles, Pizza on the Grill: 100 Feisty Fire-Roasted Recipes for Pizza & More by Elizabeth Karmel and Bob Blumer. As I recall, the pizza crust was partially grilled prior to applying the toppings, then reheated if necessary on the grill. Perhaps my recollection is wrong, as I only perused the book briefly.

Of course, you would be remiss if you did not refer her to this illustrious forum, Mr. Toad. There are many pizzaioli on this forum.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    The Reinhart book is a great start for a pizza novice. I understand that Reinhart may be doing a pizza-centric TV show soon, and his pizza restaurant, Pietown, is located in Charlotte, NC. Another good one is Pizza: A Slice of Heaven by Ed Levine, though it's not guite good enough to buy (check it out at the library, not recipes per se but lots of pizza-iana).

Also worth checking out is the no-knead pizza recipe in Jim Lahey's "Bread My Way" cookbook. His no-knead, 2-hour crust, baked on a pan, results in the closest thing to true Roman pizza rossa as any recipe I've ever attempted.
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    I agree..American Pie....the Neo-Neapolitan dough is great on the egg..
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Celeste, although I've not bought any of the no knead bread books, I intend to buy Lahey's book just for the pizza crust recipe. I really enjoy pizza rustica or pizza rossa. Unfortunately, I've never been able to duplicate the Italian tomato sauces, even with imported San Marzano imported roma tomatoes or fresh Ohio tomatoes picked at their peak.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Another vote for American pie. Although I do not have any experience with any other pizza books.
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I love this sauce..easy.I use it on everything.
    I prefer Muir Glen, organic fire roasted tomatoes.Make a big batch ..it freezes well.
    Here's the link.
    http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Angelos-Marinara-Sauce