Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulders Questions

Brazilian_Egg
Brazilian_Egg Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I’ve had my XL egg now for a few weeks and finally got the platesetter for smoking. I plan on doing a few bone-in picnics (8-9lbs each) this weekend and have a few questions.

First, I know to fill up with plenty of lump but when I light the fire, should the bottom vent not be completely open? I’m wondering if this helps to keep the temp down instead of rising quickly and having to wait until the dome temp comes down to 250.

As for wood, chunks or chips? Soak or no soak?

Lastly, based on what I’m cooking I have read that I should expect approximately 18 hours of cook time. I’ve done these shoulders many times before but on a different smoker and those took around 12. I’m wondering if this approximation is accurate and why it takes longer on the egg since the ceramic evenly spreads the heat.

Thanks in advance for the help and feel free to provide any tips.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Light the Egg with the lower vent wide open, but it will need to be much narrower to reach desired lo/slo temp.
    No need to soak smoking wood.
    The Egg takes the same time to cook as any other cooker, temperature being equal.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    When I light mine, I open the bottom vent all the way and I leave the dome open for 10-15 minutes. Then I close the dome and leave the DFMT off. Wide open top and bottom. Pay attention here or the temp will get away from you. I leave it like that until the temp gets to 200° or so, then I add the DFMT, barely open, and I close the bottom vent to about 1/4", maybe less. The temp will slowly climb to 250°. Once you're in the right neighborhood, you can fine tune either the top or bottom vent - or both - so you can stabilize at the desired temp.

You want to sneak up on your desired temp. Try not to let it get hotter. Once you go past it, it takes a while to bring it back down.

Good luck!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    One more thing... I have cooked both butts and shoulders. Some will disagree I'm sure, but for me, butts are much better. Last time I had a craving for Q, I bought a shoulder because that's all I could find. If that happens again, I'll just cook burgers. No more shoulders for me.

So, next time, give a butt a try and see which YOU prefer.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    I've only done one so far and it was a butt and it turned out so well that I would be afraid to try anything else.
  • Carolina Q
    Yeah, but it took a lot of coaching. :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Maybe just a little :0 Wait until this friday night when I do my second. I probably wont even post until after I'm done (I Hope)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    At least his was cooked in a Big Green Egg. :P
  • Carolina Q
    EXCELLENT, Ron!!! Good one! I deserved that! :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut