Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I had to make some mango kabobs

Options
Kokeman
Kokeman Posts: 822
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I seen a post earlier for some mango pork kabobs and it sounded good. I did not use the recipe he posted. I modified one I found online.
Marinade
1/2 cup of orange juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons EVOO
2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon chile powder
a little salt and pepper
I marinaded the pork chunks for 2 hours. Chopped up the mangos and threaded on the skewers. I used some Pineapple Head on them. We all loved the pork put the mango was just ok. The little women suggested I use Pineapple next time and it was unanimous with the kids and I. The motion pasted.

IMG_1282.jpg

Comments

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Kokeman, I agree liking mango is a major part to this recipe but before eschewing it I suggest you try the recipe as it was written since it calls for a rub not a marinade on the pork which adds a spicy salty taste. Then the key is the sweet/sour glaze with ginger which really sets off the mango and all the flavors play off one another. That said I am sure it would be good with pineapple as well. Despite the ribbing I got I also recommend a splitter for uniform mango portions.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    The mango was harder to slice than I was expecting. I wanted to try the recipe you posted but I had to help a friend move. I didn't have time to get to the store. I just used what I had. I will have to try it.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    I totally understand time pressures and adjusting recipes on the fly. I do it all the time. But reading your post I realized that the only things that were alike were that you used pork and mango. I encourage you to try it again and stay faithful to the original recipe with the rub or one of your choice, I used Dizzy Dust, not a marinade and prepare the glaze-- it makes the dish. I guarantee it is better than any sweet and sour pork you get in a restaurant!!