Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

?Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was looking for something and found one of my many cookbooks had a BBQ brisket recipe with this statement about it made by the owner of the restaurant Michael LeMaster: "If you're a first timer at fixing brisket, this simple test will tell you if it's ready - Insert a large fork straight down into the flat end of the brisket and ift it straight up; if the fork comes out easily and does not lift the meat, it's done." I found that "straight" part very interesting. A recipe for the bbq sauce was on the next page and was caught my eye just as much because it is very simular to what I have been doing with the exception of using some dried peppers instead of out of the spice jar. Here it is:
4 ancho chile pepper
2 cups water
1 cup ketchup
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup worchestershire
2 tbs paprika
2 tbs dry mustard
1 tsp grd blk pepper
1/2 tsp cracked blk pepper
1/2 lemon
1/4 cup butter or margarine
Toast anchos until soft. Transfer to saucepan, add water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer 5 min. Remove from heat; let stand 10 min. Remove seeds or not from anchos and place in blender and reserve water. Put water and in blender and blend till a smooth puree. Transfer mixture to medium saucepan with other ingredients and brig to boil. Reduce heat; gently boil 30 min ; remove and discard lemon half and stir in butter. Makes 4 cups. [p]Well there it is and I just got back from rounding me up a 10 lb whole, choice, brisket. I plan to use the tip from this forum on how to trim it and cook fat side down, we'll see.

[ul][li]sonnybryans[/ul]