Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Breaking the rules, scrambling, and coming out okay - maybe

JoderJoder Posts: 57
edited 4:56AM in EggHead Forum
I broke from tradition and DID NOT use the Elder Ward method for a low and slow - so far so good. [p]Problem: I wanted to grill burgers Saturday night, cook a shoulder picnic low and slow Sunday to give to a friend, AND eat ribs Sunday.[p]Solution: After grilling the burgers at high heat, I shut down all the vents for about 10 minutes, while I prepared Mr. Picnic. Then,
Ijust dumped fresh charcoal straight from the bag onto the hot coals filled up to top of firebox -dome temp was about 450 then. (The Egg was not cleaned out - it had a low and slo and 2 previous cooks worth of ash under the firebox.) I figured what the heck, I was going to be home all day Sunday to keep and eye on it. I put Mr. Picnic in a V-rack in a drip pan straight on the grill at 9 pm. I usually use a pizza stone, but wanted to use the grill for JSlot's direct ribs the next day. Went to bed with top vent about 1/8" open, bottom about 3/4" open.[p]I woke up about every 2 hrs. (without a clock - I was that concerned) and checked on it. (I have no BBQ Guru yet) It made it through the night no problem. Dome temp was a little high at 245-260. Meat temp was 161 at 6 am - (The Plateau - it stayed there until 12 noon before it started climbing again) . I added the ribs at 10 am - it was down to 225 dome so I opened the vents to 1/2 top and 2" bottom. At that time I sprinkled apple chips through the grill for the ribs. I would've used hickory, but all I had were chunks that wouldn't fit throught the grill. At 10:30 it was down to 190. Uh-Oh - fire was dying.[p]I opened the vents wide open. I stuck my tongs through the grill and stirred up the coals. Then I took my golf club propane starter from BBQ Guru and jiggled the fire grate from below to try to stir things up. It worked great. By 11:00 it was up to 250 dome. AT 11:30 it was 275, so I shut down the vents to 1/2 and 2". It's been cruising around 250 ever since. It's 4:00 and the ribs are about done, the meat is at 181.[p]My plan of direct cooking the ribs did not really work. I had to pile 2 racks on top of the Picnic and 1 on the grill. The dripping grease made a lot of smoke, which I hope doesn't put a bad taste on things. Perhaps the ribs will baste the Picnic.[p]

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.