Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon w/ DP rub

James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I'm doing salmon with DP's Raging River rub. This is the first time I've done this. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?[p]Basically, my plan couldn't be any simpler. I'm going to sprinkle on some raging river, and cook it at about 300 degrees direct, but on a raised grid until it's done.[p]Any suggestions are appreciated..[p][p]

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    James,[p]That is exactly what I am doing tonight, with one change. I am going to glaze it in MapleSyrup and butter. The recipe is on the DP Website:[p]
    [ul][li]DP Mapleand Butter[/ul]
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    James,
    If you have any cedar planks I would recommend using them, you wont have to worry about anything sticking to the grill and after about an hour and a half @(i forgot the temp) they will slide right off the plank leaving the skin behind.[p]Scott

• eggor
    james,[p]the dome temp is in the 350 range if your on the main grid, also if you use the plank a lot of the fat will come up on the flesh side (cook skin side down) this is not very appealing so you might want to scrape that off after an hour into the cook redust with your rub to give a uniform look[p]Scott

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Steve-B, I stopped at the local grocery store tonight and found Copper River sockeye salmon fillets on sale for $2.99/lb. Normally this fish is $11.99/lb. I purchased the last two pounds.[p]I made the Raging River Maple/Butter Crusted Salmon for the first time tonight. WOW! What a great meal!![p]Beers to Chris, [p]BeerMike
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Steve-B
    BeerMike,[p]Wow...that is a GREAT!!!!!! price. I was happy to get wild salmon today for $8.99/lb. [p]It was the first time make the Maple Salmon also. I agree, WOW! I wish I had gotten another pound so I could make more tonight. I will be making this again ASAP! Thanks Nature Boy for the great rub and recipe.[p]Steve-B
  • Steve-B
    BeerMike,[p]What did you have as side dishes? We only had a caesar salad and it kind of clashed. Anyone one have ideas what would be good? We were kind of thinking a Asian Style Salad with ginger.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BeerMike,
    So happy we could contribute a little to your meal. Makes it all worthwile.
    Beers to you to dude!
    Thanks
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    eggor,
    I usually cook salmon direct, so this is new territory. I got some BGE cedar planks at the eggfest in May, but have never cooked fish on a plank. Do you get any kind of caramelization and browning of the outside?? I guess it cooks mainly from the top anyway right? Or does the wood actually get really hot to cook the fish from under? [p]Seems like scraping off the fat and cooking even longer would give you a dry result....where if you cooked it faster the good fat would remain inside. Have you tried at 450 so you can brown the outside before all that fat bubbles out? Just thinking here.[p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    No. Thank YOU, man!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com

• Yup, the DP recipe with the Ragin rub and the maple/butter glaze is a winner. My 2 daughters always go right for the carbs on their plates (rice, bread, potatoes, etc...), but I love watching them happily eat salmon cooked this way.[p]Bob

• Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    James,
    I just made Salmon fillets last night except I used DP's Tsunami Spin (my favorite). I also brushed some olive oil over the filets first and sprinkled lightly with salt and pepper. Heated the grill to 400. Put a thin layer of lemon slices on the grid and placed the fillets on top of that. Grilled for 8 minutes direct and squirted lemon juice on top of the salmon and grilled for another 8 or 9 minutes. Absolutely perfect and moist. This was a suggestion from Mad Max - Lemon slices prevent the salmon from sticking to the grill.

• eggor
    Nature Boy,
    Actually i've never even tried grillin fish direct on the egg. Right after gettin 'eggor' I went to this website seen all the recipes on salmon and trout being done on the planks. had such good results with it I didn't think about direct.[p]As far as the fish, it does brown up nicely on the top and the fish is never dry (third time doing salmon last wednesday). It is kinda difficult to tell when the fish is actually done, so i've been going by the recommeded times and temps,I haven't messed up yet. Actually I've started using the fat cooking out the top as sort of a timer, when it quits cooking out the top it is about done. Also thinkin that the fat is going to cook out of the fish no matter if I cook direct or indirect.[p]Scott

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Steve-B, I do a variation of the maple/butter and Gretl's dijon boubon recipe. I coat both sides of a filet with Raging River Rub and then put on a layer of Jack Daniels Hicory Smoke Mustard and bourbon (approx 1 TBS each, made into a paste) and cook indirect until done to your taste. I've cooked at 250° and at 400°, doesn't matter, it comes out great. You need to try it some time.

[ul][li]Meat & Poultry Questions?[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    SalmonAfterFlip.jpg
    <p />eggor,
    Thanks Scott. I think I will give the planks a try next time do salmon.[p]You really should try direct fish. I don't have a problem with sticking, and if I do get a little stickage, just pushing the fish sideways...parallel to the grate wires...releases the fish without tearing the crust. One careful flip is all it takes. When I cook fish direct, it is not usually on long enough for the fat to bubble out. [p]Thanks again, Scott
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Nature Boy,
    Here is my first attempt at some cedar planked salmon. It was a big hit. One half was salt, pepper, and dill, the other was DP Raging River :-) Everyone liked both[p]Cedar_Planked_Salmon_2.jpg[p]John

• Troll
    Troll Posts: 1
    Nature Boy, You definitely have to try planking your salmon. I have used both alder and cedar planks, soalked them for 30-60 min, put them on a raised set up to warm, coated the salmon filets with Ragin'River and topped them midway through cooking with Bobby Flay's Brown Sugar and Mustard Glaze ( http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_667,00.html ) and WOW!! My daughter's favorite meal and my wife will no longer order salmon in restaurants!! What surprised me about the above is I don't cook it anywhere near 90 minutes - usually 20-25 at 400 degrees (until temp about 140)

• Nature Boy
    TROLL,
    Thanks. You don't seem like a troll to me!
    I dug up my planks and will set them out so I'll remember that next time. That glaze sounds too.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com