Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Slaw??

Mflyer
Mflyer Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently had lunch at a BBQ place in Birmingham and they served a brownish/reddish slaw. They used it kinda like a relish, but after a little research I think its called BBQ slaw. I tried a recipe from the recipes section but it didn't turn out right?!? Does anyone have a good recipe?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Need more details about the slaw, but here is one option.

Slaw, Coleslaw, Red, Lexington, NC

INGREDIENTS:
    100 lbs Med. chopped cabbage (1 lb.)
    6 quart Ketchup (4 Tbs)
    10 lbs Sugar (3 Tbs)
    1/2 gallon Vinegar (4%) (1 Tbs)
    8 oz Salt (1/2 tsp)
    8 oz Pepper (1/2 tsp)
    1/4 tsp Ground red pepper (pinch or so, to taste)

Procedure:
    1 Lexington Barbecue, I thought I'd share their recipe for cole-slaw (you know, the kind you put in the sandwich with the Q). Pam and I were fortunate enough to visit Lexington Barbecue back in July. We really liked the slaw. It was a nice alternative to the mayo/half-n-half/cream based slaws typical of other areas. I wrote to Allen H., and he kindly shared their recipe. I reduced the quantities listed if you don't want to follow Allan's recipe (in parentheses). Mix all dry ingredients into the chopped cabbage, and let sit for 20 minutes. Then add the wet ingredients and mix well. Allow to refrigerate as long as possible before serving. We've made this twice since getting home. Used it on pork bbq sandwiches and as a side with ribs. Mmmmm good.

Recipe Type
    Salad

Recipe Source
    Source: Ash Tray, 2008/04/02
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Can't help you with red or brown slaw. The only time I eat cole slaw is when I'm having Q and, for me anyway, the only style that goes with Q is the KFC stuff. I do have a recipe for that if you're interested. Looks and tastes almost identical to the original. Actually, I think it tastes better.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mflyer
    Mflyer Posts: 59
    Thanks a bunch, I'll give it a try!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I love that stuff and would love the recipe.
    Thanks, Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Here ya go, Jim...

Mix everything except the carrots, cabbage and onions together. I use a whisk. Then add the rest and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate a couple of hrs.

1/2 C mayo
    1/3 C sugar
    1/4 C milk
    1/4 C buttermilk
    2 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 T white vinegar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper

8 C finely chopped cabbage
    1/4 C shredded carrot
    2 T minced onion

Makes quite a bit so I usually cut it. Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Alabama: Where they make brown slaw and use mayo in barbecue sauce.... :huh:

I like vinegar based slaw. :)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    THANKS SO MUCH. :)
    JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer