Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinating Shrimp

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am making bacon-wrapped shrimp tonight. I first want to marinade the shrimp. How long to marinade shrimp ? Do I pre-cook the bacon first before I wrap the shrimp ?

Thanks.

Hope you are all enjoying a wonderful EGG week end.

Gary

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Bump. No clue but I would like to know too.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I found the answer on a google search. The time to marinate shrimp is 30 minutes to an hour. SoI marinaded the shrimp for 45 minutes. Then wrapped half of the shrimp with bacon and the other with just the rub, Shaking the Tree.. Grilled each side for 3 minutes. They were really tasty. I like shrimp grilled then I do in a shrimp boil.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Shakin' the tree and a little EVOO is our favorite method at the moment...wife and kids just love 'em!

BD
  • SmokingLong
    SmokingLong Posts: 34
    Options
    Also try brining them - combine 1/4c of salt, 1/4c of sugar in a quart of water (heat the water if the dry ingredients do not all dissolve and then use ice to cool down the mixture). Place shrimp in for 20-30 minutes. Afterwards, rinse and dry shrimp. Apply olive oil and/or butter and rub and they are ready for egging. You can also add herbs to brine such as Bay, rosemary or thyme - just make sure to heat the mixture to meld the flavors.

This recipe works well also for chicken breast or pork loin.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09245a.jpg

DSC09497a.jpg

I brine my shrimp too, but I only go about 10 minutes. When I marinate, I stretch that time to 30 minutes for regular shrimp and maybe an hour if I have jumbo ones. I prefer keeping the shells on, I believe it's easier to control the cook.

Of course you can't do this if you are wrapping in bacon. I would use the really cheap, super thin bacon, and if you wanted to partially cook it in the micro that might insure that you don't overcook the shrimp while getting the bacon crisp.

The neat thing about shrimp is that you can prepare them a few different ways for some variety. Grilled shrimp make a wonderful shrimp cocktail.

DSC09267a-1.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery