Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flounder

Arkansas Egg
Arkansas Egg Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone here tried flounder filets on the egg? How did you do them?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is a method.

Flounder, Prosciutto

Something I have not tried with flounder is to use a bed of scallions (like the Ginger Salmon recipe) underneath the fish. It allows the fish to cook without sticking to the grill. It certainly works with the salmon, it should work with the flounder rolls as well.

INGREDIENTS:
    8 slices prosciutto (approximately 2-3" wide)
    8 flounder fillets (approx 3-4" wide)
    8 small sage leaves
    2 Tbs lemon juice
    salt and pepper
    2 Tbs light olive oil
    1 Tbs unsalted butter

Procedure
    1 On each piece of prosciutto, lay a flounder fillet
    2 Put a sage leaf at one end of each fillet.
    3 Mix lemon juice, butter, salt and pepper and paint each fillet with the mixture.
    4 Roll up each fillet and secure with a wooden toothpick.
    5 Lightly oil the outside of each roll with olive oil.
    6 Place on a well oiled grill at 300F for about 8-10 minutes. Rotate the rolls and cook for an addition 8-10 minutes or so.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: The Book of Fish and Shellfish, Hilare Walden

Source: BGE Forum, Wise One, 2003/08/17
  • I tried it last week and kind of went into it blind. I knew I didn't want to have to flip it if possible because Flounder is so thin and flaky. Also, I did not want to overcook the fish.

So I decided the easiest way to do this was to put the fish in tin foil. I put Olive oil along with my seasonings in there with the fish. I cooked direct on a raised grid at 375-400 dome for 3-4 minutes per side. It is easy to flip the fish when wrapped in the foil without worrying about sticking or any of those problems.

Unwrapped and easily peeled from the foil. I was pleasantly surprised. I am not the biggest fish eater, but it was pretty good.
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    they are very good. It is a very quick cook and you need something to cook it on...it will fall thru the grate when it flakes.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Cooking it direct on a bed of thin sliced lemons works well also B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • KB
    KB Posts: 144
    Did you cook something else that night? It seems like a lot of work to get the grill started for such a short cooking time. Also, does fish cooked in foil taste any differently on the grill than in an electric oven? Do you open the foil to let some charcoal flavor penetrate?