Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4th. is Over-So What Did You Cook?

Options
Hammer
Hammer Posts: 1,001
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's been awhile since I asked the question; and we have a lot of newbies and Eggsperts. So What did you cook for the 4th. for you and your friends?
Me? T'Rex
Steaks, and WooDoggies stuffed Brisket, using both Nature Boy's and Chef Wil's rubs!
Hammer

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Hammer,
    I did a brisket flat and 3 racks of ribs. Brisket cooked about 16 hours and ribs cooked for 10 hours, used the Guru set at 215 degrees.Brisket was good but the ribs were the very best I ever cooked. Theres a thread with a pic of 'em somewheres down the forum

• Hammer
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    The Grilla Shaker was great! I've got to try the 215 Ribs. Saw it posted earler, but I am impatient to wait the time for the long cook on Ribs. I want to takr those babies off, as soon as I can.
    Patience is a virtue; I have little; but the BGE is teaching me.
    Hammer

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    New_Bands_002.jpg
    <p />Hammer,This one works. Turkey breast on top of pot of stuffing. No smoke. 325 for 2 hours. Made whole neighborhood smell like thanksgiving!

• Hammer
    Options
    Charbon,
    Looks great! What's the recipe?
    Hammer

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    I was able to do a brisket so it was edible - a real feat for me! It was a small flat, only about 4 3/4 lbs. I did it indirect for about six hours then wrapped it in foil and finished it. I think it should have come off about an hour earlier. While not dried out on the outside, the inside wasn't quite as juicy as I'd like. Great flavor though - rubbed in G'rilla Shaker by Chef Wil.[p]
    01-Brisket.jpg[p]
    02-Brisket.jpg

• willmw
    willmw Posts: 41
    Options
    Hammer,
    Saturday: 9lbs of butt, pulled (shared among 2 extended families)
    Sunday: 2 racks each of pork ribs and beef ribs (also shared with wife's family)
    Monday: Salmon & Shrimp (had a little left to share)
    Tuesday: Filet kabobs with yellow squash & zuchini, mushrooms, & red onions (just enough for wife & me)[p]I'm stuffed and so are several of my relatives & inlaws. :-)

• Hammer
    Options
    willmw,
    WOW! That's some serious cooking. You deserve a rest, and a PBR!
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Options
    Pakak,
    Look's good! Hammer

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Hammer,[p]Black crusty gooey balls. They started out so good..looking so much like fine steak tips. You should have seen the flames though...lovely hues of purple and green..at least until I pulled that plastic spatula out. I wonder who invented plastic spatulas? I'm guessing they never had pain killers and muscle relaxers. Boy..an hour seems like minutes sometimes. Some day I'll look back at this and laugh..I just hope I have some utensils left...[p]StumpBaby
  • KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    Hammer,[p]I cooked chili-lime chicken wings on Friday, tuna steak on Saturday, seafood & okra gumbo Sunday, and 2 racks of spare ribs JJ's style on Monday.[p]Now we are eating leftovers for a while.
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Meatloaf, made with gorund beef, ground pork, hot Italian sausage, red peppers and onions. I rubbed the top with Cowlick and wrote "U S A" on top with barbacue sauce.[p]It was a big hit at the party I went to. It was fun hanging out in the kitchen listening to people talk about how good the meatloaf was and asking if anyone knew who cooked it. It was even more fun telling them that it was mine. Good for the old ego. :)
  • ChefDBA
    ChefDBA Posts: 20
    Options
    Hammer,
    Did about 21 pounds of butt (3- 7 to 8 pounders), 8 Slabs of Baby Backs,5 pounds of burgers, 8 packs of Kosher Dogs, and 2 drunk chickens. Started brining Friday night and finished the final hot dog about 10:30 Monday night.[p]Fed 30 folks 2 days in a row because we had some weather and they put off the fireworks until Monday.

• sam
    sam Posts: 21
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    What? You take a couple weeks off from Eggin' and ferget everything you knew? Plastic and fire don't mix (well, they DO, but not in the right way!)[p]Glad to see you back, just remember to use METAL on the fire. I think the Lawn Ranger has some nice metal utensils for you to check into.[p]

• Hammer
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    "Black crusty gooey balls"? I know I shouldn't ask, but OK, What are they? As far as the nice colors from the burnt spatula; what color was it? I found that the red one's make a better color.
    Good to hear from you.
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Options
    ChefDBA,
    I believe that you and WIllMW spent your entire weekend cooking, but what a great way to do it.
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Ditto on the "good for the ego". I love to hear people talk about food cooked on the BGE.
    Hammer

• LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    Hammer,
    4 rack of spares, a 12 pound turkey, Lemon Pepper Halibut, and Nature Boys Salmon.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Hammer,[p]I did the 5-hr brisket. Very good results. I'll post pictures some day if my buddy ever emails them to me.[p]TRex
  • germanshorthair
    Options
    Hammer,[p]Nothin too fancy since we had a busy weekend.
    Did brats and burgers using whiskey barrel chips for smoke.
    Flavor was right on the money.
    Everyone was satisfied.[p]Mark.[p]

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Hammer,[p]Saturday...
    Sockeye salmon with mustard sauce, broccoli and white rice.[p]Sunday...
    Jamaican Jerk Pork Loin with black beans, yellow rice, and fresh asparagus.[p]Monday....
    Pulled beef with roasted rosemary red potatoes, roasted vidalia onions and sliced tomatoes from the garden.[p]Tuesday....
    Tsunami Spin spatchcock chicken, with more red potatoes (they were so good we did them again!), green beans, and sliced tomatoes.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Hey, Tonia!! How did you do the pulled beef?[p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• Unknown
    Options
    Tonia, yea I was wondering the same thing.

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    brisket14
    <p />Did my 1st Brisket & 2nd Boston Butt. Both were a success although I'd probably try a few new things with the brisket.[p]Perfect 4th Lineup![p]B o B
  • QBabe
    Options
    Hi Jim,[p]I had a 5 lb bone-in chuck roast that I rubbed with Dizzy Pig's Cowlick Steak Rub and turbinado sugar...threw some oak chunks on the fire and cooked it low and slow (about 250°). When it hit 170° internal, I wrapped it in foil and then pulled it off when it reached 195°.[p]BUT DON'T DO WHAT I DID![p]It was one of the toughest pieces of meat I've ever had come off my egg! This is the second time I've tried this little adventure and the second failure, LOL...I'm 2 for 2![p]Next time, I'm just gonna do a pot roast! [p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Chet,[p]See my response below...next time, it's gonna be a pot roast instead![p]pot-roast-served.jpg[p]Tonia

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Yes, I was curious. I think chuck is one of the cuts that lends itself to much quicker cooking unless do something like braising. I used boneless chuck in Jerry's hash I made the other day and it ended up looking like "pulled" beef, but that was cooked in liquid.[p]Jim
  • QBabe
    Options
    JSlot,[p]That's what happens to it in a dutch oven as a pot roast too, and it's some of the best tasting beef...but I'd read that you could do it like pulled pork. [p]Guess you can't always believe what you read![p]Oh, well...we're going to chop it up and maybe toss it in the chili pot next time we do a batch. Still won't be the greatest, but maybe it'll get some use that way...[p]Tonia

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    Hammer,[p]Thanks for asking. The Fourth of July is also my duaghter's birthday. It was her 21st this year, so we had a major bash. It was also a Bon Voyage party because she leaves next Thursday for India for a six month study abroad program through her college. We celebrated on Monday to accomodate the busy schedules of as many quests as we could. [p]Last Wed. night I did two 8# butts, pulled them Thursday, vacu-sealed them and threw 'em in the freezer. Sunday, I cooked 2-1/2#s of bolgna, 2-1/2#s of ham, Elder Ward's Mamaw's German potato salad and 6#s of asparagus. These went into the fridge. Sunday night I rolled 50 ABT's. Monday, a 20# turkey and four extra legs went into my large egg, and the ABT's went into my small egg. Unfortunately, I didn't have another egg, so I had to do two dishes of Gretl Collins' World's Best scalloped potatoes in the oven.[p]I cut the bologna and ham into cubes, reheated them with BBQ sauce and served them, along with the ABT's, as appetizers. I served the asparagus cold with lime juice, asiago cheese, roasted pine nuts and a dash of Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin. Elder Ward's North Carolina Sauce topped the reheated PP on (my wife's least favorite food) plain, white hamburger buns. Add the sliced turkey, scalloped potatoes, the German potato salad, a fruit salad and a traditional potato salad others brought, and my-o-my we had a feast fit for a 21 year old queen, her family and friends.[p]One of our other kids, her husband and their four kids couldn't make it to the party, so as soon as I get off the Forum I'm bagging up a bunch of left-overs to bring to them.[p]I know my daughter will have a wonderful experience in India, but I'm just as certain that there will be times she will be willing to trade some tandori for an ABT.[p]Paul[p]
  • CChristensen
    Options
    Hammer,[p]I just picked up my egg last Wednesday. I've been Q'ing for many years, and won many contests, but I tell you what! I made the best chicken on Friday, the best ribs on Saturday, and the best prime rib on Sunday! WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG!!

• Unknown
    Options
    QBabe, mine turned out very good as any one of about 9 people eating that and brisket a month or two ago can tell ya. But I am sure mine went to more like 195 internal.