Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

getting my egg home in 1 piece

Options
CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, as I mentioned I will be getting a large BGE with nest. It is a demo used at the local egg fest, so I need some tips for success transportation.

I have a boxy Scion XB with lots of room in the backseat, going to strap it in..

The dealer encouraged me not to disassemble it, but mentioned it may be difficult to unload it off the car. I am thinking to take out the firebox to save weight, I heard without the stuff inside goes down to 100 pounds. But I think 2 men should be able to "man handle" it?

Should we be carrying up the driveway and all the way to the backyard. I don't want to nest it then go over the concrete joints which can't be good.

I also heard there is something called pot lifter which is used to transport BGE sucessfully?

Comments

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Yes to pot lifters. Make sure to get "white" plastic hinge locks and have the dealer show how to use them.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• WhackMaster719
    Options
    Just strap in down as you said and you should be golden. They are not that heavy, just awkward for one person to carry. If you do what you said and remove the guts before transferring it,you will be fine. In the video that comes with the egg, they show it going over the concrete sections in a nest just fine. They do make sure to state that you should "pull your nested egg, rather then push it".

Congrats! I know you'll get as hooked as I am! :evil:
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    You should build a box with plywood and foam insulation and submerge the egg inside the box with handles and you can use a dolly to get it to the car. Think about it. B)
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I move my large often in an SUV. I've probably done so 30+ times, without any significant damage (I bent the thermometer once because I forgot to take it out of the hole before moving, and it hit the side of the truck on the way in).

What I do is the following... Note that I need to carry it about 30 feet, go down / up several steps, lift into a tall SUV (Expedition), and don't have anyone to help me. Also note that I'm a competitive martial artist in pretty good shape and don't have trouble lifting something this weight. Don't try this alone if you're unsure you can lift it. It should be no problem for two people in reasonable shape.

1) Open up the Egg and remove all the guts. This is also a good time to clean it, since you won't need the ash wherever you're going. Also remove the cap and the thermometer.

2) Open the bottom draft door, and use it as one point to lift. Put your other arm under the rear hinge, lift, and tilt the Egg to put weight on that arm. I don't actually lift from the hinge to avoid bending it, but doing it this way uses the hinge as a safety to prevent it from falling. When I first tried this, I did lift from the hinge the 1st few times with no ill effects, but I figure it's safer not to, and don't anymore.

3) Put the Egg in your truck. supported on two sides by the side wall and a seat.

4) Put the guts back in, assuming you can open the lid in your vehicle. They can't really move around in there, and having them in lowers the center of gravity, making it less prone to tipping. I also often put a bag of charcoal, my torch for lighting, and other things I'll need in there.

5) Strap it down. I usually use at least two nylon straps or bungees, one passing through the hinge, and one passing through the handle, to make sure they can't slip off. If your truck doesn't have tiedown points, run your straps around a seat. If you're also moving other things, use them to provide further support for your Egg.

6) Reverse the process when you get to your destination.

Hope this helps.

-John
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Two men can lift a LBGE without issue. Just use a handtruck to move it across your property. Strap it to the handtruck with a tie down or even a piece of rope, even while in the nest. Myself and others have done it many, many times without incident.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    CaCook what fest are you going to be at?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CaCook
    CaCook Posts: 68
    Options
    I am going to the San Francisco one.
    So as of today I still have to wait 2 more months for my egg.. it will be seasoned by an experienced cook :)

So I am going to get the pot lifter for $30
    http://potlifter.com/
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thought if Texas this Saturday I would give you mine and you could mail it back. Sorry....
    Get one as they have lots of use around the house.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.