Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nature Boy and Spawn do the Gourd and other 4th stories w/ pics

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
figured that subject header would get your attention. . had a great fourth of july bash over at brett's house yesterday. . .brought my large over to his carport. . nature boy and the twins came, packing a medium and all kinds of good eats... had some other family and friends in attendance. . .[p]the menu included briskets (both lo and slo and 5 hour varieties), chicken, pulled pork, 'egged' baked beans, cole slaw, egged snapper, nature-boy's squidlies, grilled zuchini fresh from Nb's garden, grilled pineapple, egged peach/blueberry crisp w/ fresh cranked ice cream, and a stuffed gouard that nature boy and spawn worked up that will be discussed further . .. and i'm sure i'm missing a dish or two. . .[p]now for some pics[p]first, here is nature boy with a tortured grin, working his magic squid in the nuclear temps (he looks tortured cause i made him hold that pose for about a minute while his arm started to sizzle a little bit. . heeee)
DSCN0342.jpg
here is our main host brett working on some chicken wings (tsunami spin i think). . .really tasty. .[p]DSCN0343.jpg[p]next, the whole red snapper. . we scored it, dusted it with some raging river, then pan fried it in the egg using my old cast iron pan. . .it was delicious, and didn't last long. . .
DSCN0350.jpg[p]now for the gourd. . .nature boy pulled this big monster out of his garden, didn't know exactly what it was, or what to do with. ..so he hollowed it out and he and spawn put their noggins together and came up with a stuffing made up of available ingredients. .. they chopped and sauted some portobello mushrooms with some garlic. . .while that was going on spawn took some crusty french bread, cut it up small, mixed it with some mild and fresh grated romano cheese. . .then they added the portobello mushrooms and more chees. . .stirred it all up (i'm sure i'm missing an ingredient or two here), put it in the gourd and baked it in the egg for about 40 minutes. . here are the pics and results. . .real nice teamwork on their part. . [p]here are nature boy and spawn, literally putting their eggheads together to conjure this up. . .
DSCN0345.jpg[p]spawn putting the final touches on prior to egging .. .
DSCN0348.jpg[p]ready for the egg
DSCN0349.jpg[p]and the finished product. ..now i'm no gourd eater, but it really tasted great. . .
DSCN0352.jpg[p]finally, after all the great eating, we did fireworks in the street, and even had some great fun music, courtesy of brett's friend ken on accordian, brett's wife liz on violin and brett's daughter kate on flute. ..[p]DSCN0357.jpg[p]the fourth of july just doesn't get much better than this. . .

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Yo max![p]Looks like you guys had too much fun doing what you're supposed to do on the 4th of July....... friends, food, community, flying the flag, smell of smoke, music, fireworks and simply enjoying the fact that you can do all of those things....... [p]Here's to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness![p]John
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    all that and more my friend!! . . .it was just a nice day all around. . .even with the torential rains early in the day. . .next year we'll have to get you down for the fourth. . hope you had a good one out on the farm (or wherever). . [p]max

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Yo Max!
    The kids and I had such a blast. The food and company was top notch, and that music really put the icing on the cake. We much enjoyed the 16 foot confined fireworks, and seeing you and Brett (professional pyros) at work. Enjoyed working with Spawn on the stuffed squash. Don't be suprised if she suddenly emigrates to the Dizzy Pig team. :-)[p]BTW, what is up with my forehead on that 4th shot? I know I gots some wrinkles up there, but they are NOT perforated![p]Great pics. Great time. Thanks for making us feel so welcome. Jenna and Kara wanna go back.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    really glad you all came!! . . .glad jenna and kara had a good time as well. . .hard to tell with the kids sometimes, but if the last memory of the day is a good one, then all the bored ones are forgotten, and since they had fun with the fireworks and sparklers, then that's all that mattered. . .[p]spawn had a really good time working the gourd with you as well. .. she keeps threatening to go join you guys. . .i'll trade you for nephew kenny and a draft pick to be named later. .. heee[p]oh, and those wrinkles. . .probably the result of twin daughters. .. .oh, you just wait, you just wait. . hhhhaaaahhhahaaaa

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Great pics, looks like a great time. [p]Hey, what was in that gourd??[p]TRex
  • Spawn of Mad Max
    Options
    TRex,
    Hello my loyal fans!!!!!!!!!!!
    NB and isauted up some chopped up portobello mushroom in butter w/ garlic. .. in a separate bowl spawn mixed one egg, some milk and some cut up french bread and some grated romano cheese.. .then they stirred in the mushrooms and more grated romano cheese. .. .spooned that mixture into the gourd, spinkled more grate romano cheese and some tsunami spin on top and baked it in the egg for about 40 minutes at around 350 dome temp. . .it was pretty good stuff.. .

• aka mr. Earl
    aka mr. Earl Posts: 151
    Options
    Spawn of Mad Max,[p]hello Spawn.[p]are you showing in new holland, this year?[p]
  • Spawn of Mad Max
    Options
    aka Mr. Earl,
    Yeah, I get to go. Dad is letting me out of the basement for a couple of days, so I get to go cook with you guys

• aka mr. Earl
    Options
    Spawn of Mad Max,[p]cool. [p]What are you guys cooking for Friday night dinner?
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    aka Mr. Earl,
    ok, its me now. .. i sent the spawn back to the dungeon. ..[p]i'm seriously thinkin of doing the escargot. . should make us the classiest campsite there. .. and a 'crisp' for desert. .. the gang wolfed it down so fast last night it was unbelievable. .. and whatever you and brett want for main course. ..

• aka mr. Earl
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]You're messing with us, right?[p]That is just too good.....
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    aka Mr. Earl,
    no man, i'm not messing with you. . you've seen my snail pictures. . .i have four complete sets of plates/shells/tools. . .we'll do it up righteous. . .maybe your white truffel chicken would be a good main course. . .

• aka mr. Earl
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I'll send out the pig to snort for truffles tomorrow.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    aka Mr. Earl,
    we've come a long way from beer chili my brother!!

• aka mr. Earl
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I just wish my kid would show up once in awhile at our little fests...
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]How much for the gourd? Don't you want to haggle?! Wot's wrong with it?[p](this post is for Monty Python fans) :)