Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving to the St Louis area

StratoEgg
StratoEgg Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Moving to the St. Louis area in a few weeks. Are there any recommendations on lump coal sources in that area? Or BGE dealers? Haven't checked the map, but we are also looking for the nearest eggfest..

Thanks in advance!,

Al

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Good luck,God bless.Please tell me it ain't East St Louis!!! ;)
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    I live out in St. Charles county and there are a couple local small grocers that carry Fire King which I like using. You can also get Royal Oak at any Walmart. I think depot sells cowboy brand lump. Oh and schnucks sells a brand of lump, its like earth something .. there's plenty of sources to get lump around here.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    What part are u moving to? I live on the east side. A little farther east than East St. Louis. I get 20 pound bags of Fire King for $10. Schnucks grocery stores runs Full Circle 8.8 pound bags for 3.99 on sale. normally 5.99. The dealer I use is in Highland IL. It is a little bit of a drive (40 miles from downtown) but a guy I work with wife works there. I call her and he brings it to me the next day. They stock Dizzy Pig also.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    There are multiple dealers in the St Louis area as well as lump sources. St Louis Home Fires is one that also sells chips, chunks, sauces and rubs including Dizzy Pig.
  • StratoEgg
    We are moving mid/late Jun to O'Fallon IL from NJ. I am interested getting my lump stock up.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    O'fallon is a great town. I live real close and have a lot of friends there. There are a couple of dealers around so no problems. Where I buy lump is in Cassyville. $10 for 20 pound bags of Fire King.

Are you coming to Scot AFB?
  • StratoEgg
    Excellent! Is Fire King comparable to Royal Oak or better? We have been paying up to $17.50 for a 20lb bag of Royal Oak out here. Local WalMarts stopped carrying Royal Oak out here about a year ago.

Yes, I am moving out there to work at Scott AFB. My family and I are looking forward to the change.

I am told the area is great and there appears to be plenty to do.

StratoEgg
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    I think Fire King is better. It's very consistent, I don't get much spark and it can give me high heat for pizzas and steaks no problem. Plus I ususually get a good amount of large chunks which I save for really long smokes and pizza cooks.