Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt question

Options
Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked a 7+ pound Boston Butt last night. Started the egg and let stabilize at 220 for almost an hour before putting the butt on. Internal temp of butt was 37*. In less than 2 hours, the temp was approaching 90*. I ended up with an 18 hour cook and an excellent piece of meat. I'm wondering if others have such a fast start? I'd feel more comfortable with a slow, steady rise than the sudden, quick jump in temps.

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Shelby,[p]Here's the key statement... "I ended up with an 18 hour cook and an excellent piece of meat." Success!![p]If you preheated for almost an hour, there was a lot of heat available for your meat when you first put it on. The ceramic has all that heat absorbed and it's ready to give it up. The butt was cold, and willing to absorb it.[p]When I do mine, I don't preheat the egg. This gives a slow start to the internal temp, plus it produces a lot of smoke in the early stages of the cook, when they claim the meat absorbs more smoke. I light the lump, when the temp starts to climb (to maybe 100°) I throw my wood chips/chunks on, set up the platesetter, grid, and throw on the meat. The smoke is wonderful. I leave the bottom and the top vents wide open until I get some temp going, and then I stop 'em down to slow the rate of rise. I usually take about 45 minutes to get to 225°.[p]So, next time, I wouldn't preheat quite as long....or at all.[p]Mike in MN
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    I think that smoke ring formation occurs early in the cook, while the meat is less than 140 degrees or so. However, smoke flavor will accumulate as long as you have smoke in the cooker. That's what I keep reading...
    TNW

The Naked Whiz