Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Side dishes.

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Would potato skins be okay as a side? Trying new items all the time.

Mike

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Mike - a couple popular places locally serve waffle cut fries. Not sure if they make them or buy them - but they are sliced thinly and perpendicular so as to have holes. They are very tasty and crispy.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    We are par frying our fries. Then flash fry for 1 minute and season with a rub/sugar mixture.
    We also have sweet potato fries, thin fries and onion rings.
    Mike
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I would have them as a menu item, but they seem a little heavy as a side. Maybe an appetizer for folks to share.

I know they are a good seller, but if you list them as a side you may cut into your sales of sides. People won't think twice about buying and app and a side, but normally won't buy an additional side.

i.e. they would buy beans and skins as sides instead of skins as an app, then their entree and beans and slaw as sides.

I guess it depends on your menu and how you charge. Are sides included with the entree? If so then you are going to eat into your profit margins since skins are more costly to prep and serve than slaw or beans.

Make sense? I know what I'm trying to say but my brain feels kinda mushy today for some reason. Probably all the belgian beer I drank by proxy yesterday.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i like them but fidel is right unless you have a night business with full sitdown and folks are ordering appetizers and drinks then later a meal etc. for something different, try boiling the little new potatoes, chill overnight, smash in the palm of your hand, roll in flower litely, and fry those. serve salted with some malt vinegar, the skins get nice and crunchy and they are not overpowering like on regular potatoes. i make them for breakfast sides and for fish frys
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    All of our items come with 2 sides, up charge for Sweet Potato Fries and Onion Rings. I would up charge for these to or only have on Sat and Fri. with baby backs at $26. This is still a learning process.
    Thx Rod.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    We don't have a full set down. Trying to raise the money to add on for that. A sports/bar theme.
    Thx
    Mike
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mike,

You could be the first restaurant in KC to serve poutine :laugh: All you need is some cheese curd and gravy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I personally love potato skins and whenever they're at a party or ordered as an appetizer, they are always the first thing to disappear.

Definitely upcharge for them.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Mike,
    I too think potato skins are too heavy to be a side. So I would suggest either as an appetizer, or, instead of upcharging, the skins could be in lieu of the two sides? Just my 2 cents worth. At any rate, I'm originally from St Joe, and get home frequently. What's the name of your restaraunt (I think I read its in Belton)? I would like to check your place out and try some of your famous ribs in person. Maybe then I can figger out how to tell when they are done...
  • Fidel
    Options
    St Joe? Get out!!!

That's where I grew up (well, in Faucett and Wallace actually, but spent some years in St. Joe)

Graduated from St. Joe Central and MWSC
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

My 2¢ is I like to eat. I love skins. I don't much care if you call them a side or an app. they all taste the same to me. If your diabetic like me and had to give up the spuds years ago I'm guessing that the skins are healthier then the whole critter, the starch being more of a component of the white innards. I would order skins but not fries, baked, mashed or other ways. Did your mother ever get after you to eat your potato skins because that is where all the vitamins are? List them how ever they fit your menu the best but I like a place that has the flexibility to let me order it the way I want it in the end . . . maybe that's 4¢ worth, keep the change and best of luck Mike.

Gator

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Hey Dude, did you close "The Place" or "The Keg" down a few times. I grew up in Wathena.
    One Rib Short BBQ. In Belton.
    Hope to see you.

Mike
  • Cruezn
    Options
    I absolutely spent time at both of those bars!
  • Cruezn
    Options
    Fidel,
    I graduated from Central and MWSC (now MWSU) as well. Class of '86 and '92 respectively.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Wow...I must know you. Class of 87 and 92.
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    Mike, I know you were asking about skins, but something I've seen very popular as of late is homemade potato chips with a warm blue cheese drizzle and some crumbled blue sprinkled on. I imagine they would be less labor intensive and less expensive. I know blue cheese can be expensive, but this could be a great side or App. Good luck as you move forward with your menu.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I like the french fried potatoes and the gravy and that is it ! the cheese curds, nope. I tried it and didn't like it.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    A woman ask me to drink a lot for her, then she took advantage of me. :blush: I have so many great cooks and ideas, just need to get people in and out.
    Mike