Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed bacon-wrapped chicken wings (pic heavy)

Options
Kenny 13
Kenny 13 Posts: 321
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For Sunday dinner I decided to try an idea I've been contemplating for some time - chicken wings stuffed with a cream cheese mixture and wrapped with bacon. These actually turned out to be not as labor intensive as I thought they would be.

I let a tub of cream cheese soften at room temperature and added a little grated onion, grated garlic, and some Hoochie Mama. While I was washing the wings, I stuck a finger underneath the skin to open a little pocket for stuffing them. Then I stuck some long bamboo skewers through the tip-end of the wings to hold them straight. Put the cream cheese mixture in a plastic bag and snipped off a corner so I could pipe the mixture into the wings. Sprinkled some Hoochie Mama on the wings then wrapped with bacon, using the skewers to pin the bacon in place. Smoked these in the BGE over a mixture of pecan and apple chips for about 2.5 hours and finished with a little spicy peach sauce. This is another cook that will get a do over, as these tasted amazing!

Here's a shot of the prepped wings ready for cooking:

ax1amd.jpg

On the egg just before a light coat of sauce. Notice the baking potato on the back side of the grate. Did a twice-egged potato and a corn dish to go with the wings.

2afflnp.jpg

Here are the wings after I pulled them from the egg to rest while the potato got to finish.

ja8idi.jpg

Twice-egged potato - scraped out the flesh of the potato and mixed with a little butter & sour cream before spooning it back into the hollowed out skins. Topped with some shredded cheese and returned them to the egg, raised indirect, for about 15-20 minutes at 300°.

63zskm.jpg

Here's everything plated up. The corn dish gets cooked up on the stovetop, but I'm gonna experiment with cooking it on the egg one day. It's a great side that goes well with just about anything.

212617a.jpg

The good thing here is that I'm finally getting really comfortable with controlling temps on the egg. The wings smoked with the egg holding steady right at 250° dome temperature the whole way.

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Awesome! What a great idea with the wings! :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Very creative, I like it. How did the cream cheese hold up, did most of it stay in or did a lot leak out? How was the texture of the chicken skin when you bit through the bacon. Dang, I might have to try these.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Kenny 13
    Options
    Quite a bit of the cream cheese ended up leaking out during the cook (everything you can see in the drip pan)but there was still plenty enough left inside to make it worthwhile. The skin wasn't crispy, but it wasn't rubbery either. I was really surprised that the texture was good for this kind of cook.

I was hoping that I could wrap the bacon in a way that it would help hold the cream cheese in, but I still have some bugs to work out on that. It took 2 slices of bacon to wrap each wing, but I'm wondering if I would be better using 2 slices just to wrap that first segment to better hold in the cream cheese? Another option I'm considering is cutting off the wing tips to shorten them some, then rigging something to hold the wings vertically. Kind of like standing ABT's in a rack to keep the filling in.
  • Oh my dear, and I was doing so well! Now I'll be dreaming about the 'nasties' I've been trying to avoid! I guess I can always blame the new Rx I'm on that has me doing things in the middle of the night with no recall the next day (please constrain your comments on that one). ; - ) BTW, nice cook!!
  • Kenny 13
    Options
    Dieter, No more... wrote:
    Oh my dear, and I was doing so well! Now I'll be dreaming about the 'nasties' I've been trying to avoid! I guess I can always blame the new Rx I'm on that has me doing things in the middle of the night with no recall the next day (please constrain your comments on that one). ; - ) BTW, nice cook!!

:laugh:

Thanks!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Great job on the bacon wrapped wings!! Love the twice bake potato too! :)
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this wicked, wicked idea. My heart just fluttered...
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Very nice Kenny

Ross
  • Kenny 13
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I highly recommend giving this one a try.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    That is different, love those taters.
    Mike
  • Kenny 13
    Options
    Mike, I love those potatoes too. This one could have been cooked just a little longer, as there were a few hard spots in the center, but still tasted great.
  • DeckMan
    DeckMan Posts: 28
    Options
    Kind of looks like our Parrot Sticks that we used a few years back.
    I named them Parrot Sticks after our small parrot Kiwi.
    parrotsticks.jpg
    skewer
    sprinkle rub
    dust with a tiny bit of cornstarch
    cook for 50 minutes indirect.
    We also cooked this at the Jack and received very high scores.
    I must try bacon!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Kenny, That's a great looking meal!! I also think you are becomeing one with your egg. Great job!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE