Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Five Star" Mesquite Lump "Mini Review"

Jasper
Jasper Posts: 378
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First let me say I'm no expert in reviewing charcoal, this is just my experience with this new bag of lump I bought.

A 40lb bag, cost 40 bucks from Dickson Home Hardware. Made in Mexico.
Lump01.jpg

Huge log sized pieces all through the top half of the bag. I didn't dump it all out to see what the bottom sized pieces were like but they're probably smaller...still pretty big from what I can tell.
Lump02.jpg

One massive log which I'll have to break down to even fit in the egg!
Lump03.jpg

In the firebox. I used the "smaller" pieces from the bag because I was just doing up a spaghetti sauce.
Lump04.jpg

My new toy. :)
Lump05.jpg

Starting to go. The flame is from a oil soaked paper towel I used to wipe down my D.O., didn't want to waste it by throwing it away in the garbage...
Lump06.jpg

Well, that's it. It eventually got up to temp (took a little longer than with my Royal Oak lump) and I went on to cook my spaghetti sauce.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Thanks for the pics. Was it very sparky? I have bought one bag of mesquite and it was very, very sparky. How is the smoke smell?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    How was the spark factor?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Actually, I didn't even notice any sparks at all. So I guess, none. LOL :)

I liked the smoke smell, but I don't know what to compare it to as I've never cooked with mesquite lump charcoal. It was nice though.

I usually cook with Royal Oak and Maple Leaf. Sometimes I'll buy Kingford but I find that very sparky. The other two are not.
  • Jasper,

I suggest some safety glasses if you when you light with the Mapp torch - all mesquite sparks pretty good. I have been using Best of the West mesquite lately - $14.27 for a 40# bag at Sam's.