Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Question - about raising the grill

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Most egg pictures I see on this board has the grill raised flush withe the opening of the lid. This makes sense to keep the food away from the flames, and probably diminishes flare-ups.[p]Anybody have any suggestions as to how this is done, should I buy another grill, or just raise what I have?[p]Any help would be appreciated[p]

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    BC,[p]Buy a grid extender from your local BGE dealer. It beats putting one together hands down.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    BC,
    You need your regular grill for cooking closer to the fire, like for steaks. You can buy a second grid and use stainless steel washers, nuts and bolts to make a raised grid. See my FAQ link below for photos. I like the raised grid better than the grid extender since you don't need to mess with clipping the grid extender onto your main grid. [p]Of course, for indirect cooks, you can use the plate setter to both provide the barrier needed for indirect cooking as well as raise the grid up to the level of the opening. When using this configuration, I would then use the grid extender to provide more grid space.[p]Another small drawback of using the grid extender simply to raise the grid is that it is smaller diameter than the regular grid, so if you use it instead of a raised grid, you lose grid space. (There is a photo of the grid extender on my FAQ page also, so you can see for yourself what they are like.)[p]Good luck!
    TNW

[ul][li]How To Make A Raised Grid[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    In the time before the platesetter, many of us used half-thickness firebricks as the heat shield for cooking indirect. One other benefit of the bricks is that they can be set on edge on the fire ring as spacers to accomplish the same thing as the extended grill TNW built. Three bricks provides solid base for the grill and brings the grill flush to the opening on a medium...[p]Bob V
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    BC,
    you can also cut two or three old coffee cans down to the correct height to support the grid on...they also don't block any of the heat from coming up....just don't forget to burn the 'em in the fire first to get rid of the ink/paint...