Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on current butt cook... too long in the danger zone?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK.. I put a 6.5lb'er (boneless) on last night @ 10PM. Initially the internal was about 36-40 right out of fridge, rubbed and on the egg @ ~225. At 1:30am I went to bed the egg was cruising at ~225 still and the internal was 111.[p]I woke up at 6:10, the egg had dropped to 180 and the internal was just at 141![p]I open then vents and got the tmep to 225-250 by 6:30am... but the internal temp of the butt just started to rise @ 7:15 am.[p]Now, I don't know if the temp made it over 140 then dropped or (more likely) the butt cruised way too slowly to its current temp.[p]Now the overall question... DO I JUNK THE BUTT...in the mane of safety. I do have dinner guests coming over later this afternoon. Maybe I'll have to sdisaappoint them and serve something else...[p]THanks for your opinions.[p]BRian[p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nardi,
    if your egg never dropped below 180 (and i doubt that between 1:30 and 6:30 that could have happenend and then come back up to 180), then i doubt that your butt ever reversed temps. .. more important, the surface area of your butt was probably much higher. .. .imho you are just fine. . i would keep on cruising along if i was you. . .[p]btw, if they keel over dead tonight, don't blame me :)

• Unknown
    Options
    as long as you ultimately get to a safe internal temperature, there is no danger.[p]cheers
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Nardi, been there, done that. Just keep cooking to target temp, and enjoy.

• Unknown
    Options
    Borders,[p]Thanks for the input fellas, I think the butt may have just plateaued very early... the temp has been rising steadily since the 141 stall... it is now at 183 and chugging along just fine.[p]Brian[p]