Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing report...almost

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, sauce is made, and chicken on large egg. Problem is, I ended up using breasts and not wings. I opened up the wings this morning (been in fridge for < 2 days) and eeeeyow. Chicken a la salmonella hit me in the face. Well, stuck those back in the bag from whence they came and tossed them in the freezer to be thrown out on trash day. Foraged and found some chicken breasts in the big freezer so defrosted them real fast (or in Texan..right quick) and now have them on the egg. Will try the sauce on them. So far the sauce has a strong vinegar twang which is not unusual since it does have in it..ta da..vinegar. I found the dried cherries (12.99/lb bulk at Central Market) so everything on schedule as far as the sauce. Stuck the BBQ Guru on the egg to hurry it up a little. I'm still not possessed by this gadget. Although I think after this cook, going to clean out the egg and reposition everything. Just doesn't feel right so don't want to blame the Guru yet...I mean it IS blowing..what more can I ask![p]Will report back when chicken done. Wish me luck! Oh...and bought a new bicycle today. Ending up with a case of BGE hips and uh uh, not gonna go there![p]mShark

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    MollyShark,
    My wife bought one this week also....hmmmmm...we'll see... Watch those breasts...they sure cook different than wings.[p]Hope you're getting rain.[p]Mike

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Hope I'm getting RAIN? Rain? You want RAIN? The grass is up to my knees already, there is a koi pond in the back forty. This is nuts. It is TEXAS! What the hell?[p]Ok...back to the chicken. The chicken was a hit. I cooked them to 170 and then put on layer 1 of sauce. Let it sit a couple mins, flipped, another layer of sauce. I probably could have killed it at a lower temp and done the sauce and flip a few times, but considering I wanted dinner at 5:30 and it is now 9:14, I have had enough. The sauce was very good. I'd use it again. A little sweet, a little tart (I feel a song coming on). Didn't have the strong vinegar taste I would have imagined and the color is FABULOUS. Shoulda done a picture (if I hadn't been starving). Here's the recipe for the sauce reproduced without permission from Bon Appetit 2000. Incidentally it said it would do 3 lb of chicken. I did 2.5 and there is about 3/4 of a #7 Rubbermaid container left...easily do another group of chicken.[p]
    ANCHO CHERRY BBQ SAUCE[p]1-1/4c cider vinegar[p]3/4c ketchup[p]3/4c chopped onion (can be big chunks)[p]3/4c dried tart cherries[p]1/3c packed dark brown sugar
    (have we left Atkins yet?)[p]1/4c water[p]3T mild molasses[p]2 large dried ancho chilis...stems off and seeds removed (just toss them in big pieces..no need to chop)[p]2 garlic cloves[p]1t. ground coriander[p]pinch of ground cloves[p]Toss all this in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 20 mins. Toss it in a blender (I used a cuisinart..sniff) in batches and puree. Pour back in pan. If much more than 3 c, simmer until reduced to about that. Sprinkle in a little salt and pepper.[p]Cook chicken (normally wings but what the heck). Last 5 mins or so, brush on sauce, cook a minute, flip, more sauce, blahblahblahblah sauce until you're tired of it. Take off and eat. Can serve with more sauce.[p][p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]Thanks for posting the recipe. It sounds great.[p]Ken