Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large vs XL

Options
azbbguy
azbbguy Posts: 191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had always read that the XL and Large acted a bit different, and tonight i got to see first hand that is true.

I was actually surprised at how much different my bro's large acted compared to my XL, i really didn't expect it to be that noticeable.

It was nothing i couldn't overcome, but it did take a bit to get used to, being the first time i have ever cooked on one.

All in all we turned out a great, but simple meal. We had burgers, hot dogs, shrimp kabobs, and some sides.

Oh and I got to try my first "Luther", and it was quite delicious.lol

Quick question however. We have a 2" paver under it, plus the egg is on its feet. I noticed the paver was pretty hot, which kind of surprised me, as i had never seen that with my XL(mine stays pretty cool) Is that fairly normal? It seemed like there was quite a bit of hot embers that fell through the charcoal grate.

Comments

• EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    I´ve got a question refer this fact.

I´ve large egg, and think´n currently about increasing my eggfamily by adding an XL.

I´m satisfied with the behavior of my large during low & slow and also during mid temp (350 - 400 F) cooks.

90% of my cooks are low & slow or mid temp. So, when you are saying the diff between the L and XL is more than ya expect, please tell me, what is exactly the difference ?

Cooks the XL the low and slow and mid temp cooks at the same level (temp maintain, mositure food...) as the large, or is it worse ?

Thanks for your answer
  • Eggcellent
    Options
    I agree with the last post. I just bought an XL and haven't even had my first cook. I was building the table and assembling the BGE most of the weekend. Please give more details about the difference.
  • azbbguy
    azbbguy Posts: 191
    Options
    It is not that i found one better then the other, just different.

Both maintained temps fine, it just took me a bit longer to dial it in, then my XL, as the settings were fairly different. It also seemed to react a bit different to changes. It was not a bad thing, just took a couple of min. to get used to.

I love my XL :)

I am surprised by how hot the bottom got, as mine never gets that hot.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    From my experience, the paver under a large Egg does heat up. Doesn't seem to be that bad, as I've had the same cheap Home Despot paver there since I bought my Egg 5 years ago or so, but it does get hot.

-John