Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining Ribs

Options
GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw America's test kitchen cooking ribs after brining them, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm gonna try the 3/1/1 method at 250 degrees.[p]I'll let you know how they turn out. The recipe for the brine and rub are below.[p]
BRINE
1 cup kosher salt or 1?2 cup table salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 racks (about 2 pounds each) baby back or loin back ribs[p]spice rub
1 tablespoon plus 1?2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt or 3?4 teaspoon table salt
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    I've heard of boiling ribs (which I prefer not to do) but I've never heard of brining them. I'm curious to hear how they turn out.[p]By the way, how did your "Judging" go last week in San Marcos?[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]I just put the ribs on. I picked up a 10 qt. plastic canister at WallyWorld for $4.95 and it had 3 more smaller one's inside. I poured in a gallone of water and marked the side, then I emptied it added some ice and then filled it up to the line. It should be pretty close, but it speeds up chilling the water. By the time I had the ribs cleaned and the membranes pulled, it was ready.[p]Judging was fun and sometimes tasty in San Marcos. Only a couple stood out, the rest tasted the same and some stuff was down right embarrasing. It's good to judge in these area cookoffs so you can see what folks like and dislike.[p]The Lone Star Eggers will be at it again in late July/Early August. The good thing about Texas is cookoffs are year round.[p]Now while the ribs are smoking, it's time to clean the house before I head out of town. Mrs. GrillMeister and the kids get back from Grandma's 2 hours after I get back. The place is supposed to look the same when she left, but after 2 weeks of bachelorhood, it needs some work.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Well, the ribs were very tender, but I was not impressed with the rub. Nothing a bit of Montgomery Inn rib sauce couldn't fix though. I did 3 hours indirect with an hour in foil. I put em back on for the finishing sauce after tasting them. I've tossed the rub recipe.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    GrillMeister, I use a variation of an 'apple brine' (put that in your google tool bar for the full version) on my country style ribs and have been quite happy with the results. 2 qts apple juice, 1 cup K salt, ½ cup turbinado sugar, 3-4 bay leaves, a few cloves and a bunch of minced garlic. Boil the first three ingredients till sugar and salt dissolved, add the rest and cool (you know that already), throw in the ribs (addding ice and water if liquid is not covering the ribs) and let sit over night in the brine. Rinse good and sprinkle with some black pepper and chili powder (optional) before grilling. Once I used apple/cranberry juice and it was good too. I've been wanting to use this brine on a rack of regular spare ribs, but have never gotten to it.

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Rumrunner,[p]Sounds good. Thanks for the tip. Now that I have a brining bucket that fits the fridge, I'll be brining every thing :)

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas