Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting fire

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my Egg for a couple of months. I would like to know the most popular way to start the fire. I don't have an electric lighter and wonder if a propane torch would work well and quick.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    JWirlwind,
    I don't think there is a "most popular" method. Some use starter cubes. Some use Green Heat from wal*Mart. Then there are sawdust/parafin starters. Electric starters. MAPP Gas, Propane Gas, Newspaper, you name it. A propane torch will work, but a MAPP Gas torch will work better.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    JWirlwind, propane will take a while vs. mapp gas, but hey, as a happy BGE camper I only use Weber starter cubes - one at a time. I just plan in advance when I want to start my cook so the need for a quick fire doesn't mean much to me.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggMaster
    EggMaster Posts: 37
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I remember a recent post that was a comparison between MAPP and Propane. Did you post it on your site?

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Options
    I use BGE starter cubes, one at a time. You can go out and spend $40 bucks on propane or MAPP gas. They will get you started faster. I just like the starter cubes. I didn't at first until I learned the secret.[p]Want to know the secret?[p]Here it is. Carve out a place on one side of the pit, away from any leads if you are using a BBQ Guru or Polder which have leads.[p]Light a BGE starter cube while holding it with a pair of tongs. Let it get going good then place it in the hole you carved out earlier. Move some charcoal around it kind of snuggling it into place upright. [p]Important: Don't close the lid yet. Let the starter cube burn itself out until there are no flames. When the coals get going to about the size of your fist, then you can close the lid.[p]Bring up to what ever temp you desire. Caution: Sneak up on the temp you want without going over it. It's easier to bring the temp up then to bring it down. Remember, the BGE has excellent thermal properties and holds heat for a very long time. So if you get it too hot it will take a while to cool down.[p]Say you want to get to 300°. Start cutting the draft doors around 250° and let it slowly coast up to 300°. This way you will be on target without going over.[p]Even temps friend.
  • Unknown
    Options
    JWirlwind,
    Definately MAPP gas for me. I've never gone back to any other method.[p]I can get the large up to 600 in about 10 minutes, or start a pinpoint fire in the forward middle area for a low-n-slow in no time flat.[p]I bought two bottles of gas at first 'cuz I thought one light lil' bottle wouldn't last long, well it lasted about a year with me eggin at least once a week, often more frequently.[p]Absolutely love the MAPP gadget.[p]bc

• Unknown
    Options
    The sneaking up on it is a excellent thought to throw out.It took me a few cool down waits before I got the Hang of that.I use a propane small weed burner but using the starter cube as you do sounds good also.
    Good Eggin to you!!!.
    Poppasam

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    JWirlwind, I prefer propane over MAPP gas. With the lump I use (Grove), MAPP creates a lot more sparks and flying chunks of lump pieces than propane. I prefer to keep the burning lump off my wood deck. Also, a can of propane costs about $5.00 less than a can of MAPP.[p]My father-in-law uses an electric starter and he is very happy with it. [p]Beers,[p]BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    JWirlwind,[p]I've used both MAPP and starter cubes. Like RRP mentioned, the cubes take a little longer, but if you're organized (which I am, but only every once in awhile...) that's not a big deal.[p]As far as propane goes, I tried to use it, but the flame kept going out when the torch tip was lower than the tank.[p]Ken
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    EggMaster,
    No, it was a couple of posts by Trex earlier on the forum.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    JWirlwind,
    Check this out..new from BBQ Guru
    http://www.thebbqguru.com/guru_golf_club.htm

• Smuggler
    Smuggler Posts: 1
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Do MAPP torches have a problem with staying lit when the torch tip is below the tank? A previous post mentioned this problem with propane.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Smuggler,[p]Nope, that's the beauty of MAPP...[p]Tonia
    :~)