Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slicing Brisket: A New Technique?

Options
StubbyQ
StubbyQ Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw on The Today Show, this week, Al and another “Brisket Expert” Qing some brisket. When the brisket finished the brisket guy said slicing the brisket is very important to tendeness. He said slice beginning at the point at a 45° angle. I always sliced pararell. He says it makes a big difference.[p]Anyone know anything about this? Got a brisket on now that started about 8:00 am and just wanted to do the right thing. Comments? Does slicing at an angle really work?[p]Even temps.

Comments

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    I've always heard perpendicular to the grain.[p]By 45 degrees do you mean on the bias? Gives you a larger slice. But the fibers would be longer, thus less tender then a piece cut straight down. Alton Brown covered slicing grainy meat in a recent show.

• StubbyQ
    Options
    Image a square left to right. He says you should at a 45° to the square. I don't know what to think. Alton? What kinda name is that? I never watched his show what time is on?
  • Crimsonsmoke
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    I have always sliced brisket across the grain (perpendicular). Did a 7lb last weekend and it turned out fantastic. I have never tried slicing on a 45*. I'm always willing to learn. Let us know how it turns out.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    crimsonsmoke,[p]I'm with you - try it, Stubby, and let us know.[p]It sounds like it might be some kind of compromise trying to accomodate the different grains in the two layers on the point. I usually separate the two pieces, and slice them at a 45 degree angle to the board, perpendicular tothe grain of the meat.[p]Ken
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    StubbyQ,[p]I try to cut mine that way, but it's hard to stay consistent.... If you look, the two grains are perpendicular to each other, so the idea is to try to hit it half way in between.... If you succeed, you don't have to separate the brisket....
  • StubbyQ
    Options
    Hey, it works. I sliced the brisket at a 45° cut from the flat end point and everyone thinks this brisket was the most tender brisket so far. I don't know what difference the slice makes to the grain but seems to work. Try it next time.
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Anytime you slice a piece of meat perpendicular to the grain, it will be much more tender, no matter what the cut. One little trick to use when cooking brisket is to look at the grain in the flat section while you are trimming it up, if you do, and before applying any rubs etc. Then, just cut a little piece off of the flat and leave a flat side perpendicular to the grain. After cooking, you won't have any trouble figuring out which way the grain runs. Just cut it parallel with that flat corner you created.[p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim[p]P.S. I never received anything in the mail from you, Stub. I have your rub ready to go.

• StubbyQ
    Options
    Had some minor setbacks. Watch for me the week after next. Money got tight all of a sudden. Unexpected expenses. You know the ones you can never count on?