Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using Charcoal Chimney Starter

boston_stoker
boston_stoker Posts: 794
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

I have been trying to use a chimney starter with my BGE to start the lump. It works fine, but I have problems with the egg overheating at first when I do this. I think I am probably lighting to much lump. I typically fill the fire box with some unlit medium to large pieces first, and then I dump on top the lump from the starter.

Do many people use a Chimney Starter? How much lump should I be lighting?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Typical, using a chimney starter is a good method and when you transfer that burning load into the egg, the egg will get the egg hot quickly.

You have to go through the process of starting the lump in the chimney so why not do the same in the egg and eliminate the first chimney light. You then control the vents as you get to your cooking temperature and don't have to fight cooling the egg down which is always a pain in the butt.

Use starter cubes, oil & paper towel, propane (MAPP) or some of the other starter methods.

GG
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    When I first got my egg, I found out the hard way too. Gets too hot too fast. I want to try it for a 700+ pizza cook, but haven't yet.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zinger
    Zinger Posts: 86
    I lite my egg with a chimney.

I usually fill it half way when getting ready for a low and slow. About 3/4 for a high temp. I always get my lump nice and hot before dumping it in to the egg (it's throwing sparks). Just keep your vent settings low (when doing a low and slow) when you dump all this hot lump. Remember this stuff is well lit. As long as there is an oxygen source it won't go out. You just don't want to give it too much.

If doing a high heat cook, open everything up. You will get to temp real quick.

When I dump mine for a low and slow I have the bottom vent just cracked maybe 1/8 inch. I dump in the hot lump, use the ash tool to work it in, close the dome. My daisey wheel is also mostly closed up. Then just watch your dome temp as it rises. I'll bet it doesn't go over 200 before you notice it starting to fall. At this point open things up a little. It will start to climb again, and you can make adjustments accordingly.

I like the chimney because it allows you to light the lump in many many places. I have tried quite a few of the techniques I have read on this forum, but still like the chimney the best. I use a small aluminum pan with a few ounces of 91% isopropyl alcohol placed under the chimney to light. It's cleaner than paper. and gives a long constant really hot flame that will light your lump very quick.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I use it sometimes. It's a good way to go if you want a hot fire quickly. But I've also used it for a low overnight cook. I dumped a full chimney of roaring coals on top of the prepared bed of charcoal. Initially, it was quite hot, but by time I added the plate setter and a couple of butts, the temp was down below 175 and I was able to just bring it up to 230 the normal way. It really is a matter of preference and knowing how to use each method, I reckon....
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I tend to agree. The time I did it for an overnighter, it burned evenly and without any adjustment once I had it at 230. No hole burning down the center.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Zinger
    Zinger Posts: 86
    Thats one of the reasons I like the chimney. Most of my cooks are long ones, and I have yet to have a fire go out. It always seems to light plenty of lump. You just have to make sure you don't give the fire too much oxygen at start up.

By the way, your web site is a favorite of mine. So much good info. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 409
    The chimney is good but only light 4 or 5 med pieces. Transferring the lit coals to the egg can be a problem if you have a table. Sometimes the coal splits or flies out and burns the table or your feet. :pinch:
  • I sit the chimney in the egg on top of the lump before I light it. Makes the transfer easy and also usually lights a bit more lump directly under the chimney, so I can just dump the chimney-lit limp around the edges.