Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Brisket - Help!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Smoke + fire + long time = D R Y[p]How do I change that to equal juicy and succulant?[p]Any help greatly appreciated!!![p]Steve

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Northern Egg,
    were you using a flat or whole brisket? In my corner the flats will cook sooner and I find a need to cook them @ 25° lower than whole briskets. I'm sure others will chime in.

• Unknown
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]It was a flat. Trying to do low and slow, but there must be a way to add some moisture to the cook. Seems everything that is involved in the cooking process is only drying the meat out.[p]Steve

• Unknown
    Options
    Northern Egg,
    What I do is have my butcher leave a thin layer of fat on it, and save about a pound of the fat he trimmed off. I then use a dry rub "Dizzy Pig is very good" pile the fat on top of brisket, insert probe, cook at 225 to 250 until internal reaches 200. Wrap and put in cooler for a couple hours. I also feel its best to not open the egg until meat is done. Hope this helps. Andy

• Unknown
    Options
    StuckinLodi,[p]
    Thanks Andy for the suggestion. I'll give it a try this weekend. [p]Steve

• clausenk
    clausenk Posts: 93
    Options
    Northern Egg,[p]Cook pork butt above on an upper rack, and let the drippings lubricate the brisket.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Northern Egg,[p]I'd suggest cooking the flat indirect.... that will help to keep the meat from drying out.
    Also, start to check for tenderness when the internal temp, in the thickest part, reaches 185 or so.
    I use the Nature Boy method for checking ....... take the temp probe and slide it in and out. When it slides with little grab or resistance or "like butter", it's done. Like others have suggested, wrap and let rest for a couple hours.[p]Good luck and let us know what you did and how it turned out.
    John

• Unknown
    Options
    Northern Egg,
    After all the great suggestions - tried on Saturday. Used the Dizzy Pigs method, Nature Boys marinade, and a final dry rub of BGE Sweet BBQ rub. Cooked between 225 and 250. Opnly one problem, while the beef was cooking, took a ride on hte hog. When I returned, the fire was out. Re-lite and brought to internal temp of 190. Let rest for 1/2 hour and no complaints by anyone! Thanks all.[p]