Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Problems

Options
Big George's BBQ
Big George's BBQ Posts: 1,152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Becase of everything that I have been trying to do the past few months I have not had a chance to use my BGE. I went to cook steaks on it last night. Opened it and there was mildew in it. The dome and the grate. How should I clean it. I thought I should fire it up to 700 degrees and let it burn for a while. My family says diluted bleach water which does not seem right esp. on the dome. Thanks for the help. I do keep this covered with the Lg. BGE cover.

Comments

• Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    I'd fire it up and burn it off
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    Ageed. Don't use bleach. You may sacrafice your gasket in the process, but I'd load it up with lump and just let her rip.
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    I agree with firing it up with a little bit of lump, the door wide open, and the lid off. I might would put a little something on the grate but I'm not even sure what right now, possibly bleach like you mentioned, but it would be out of the egg when I did it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    bleach works on a hard countertop, but not so much on something pourous to kill mold. fire it up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • LuckyDog
    LuckyDog Posts: 14
    Options
    From BGE Web.

Mold has grown in my EGG. How can I remove it safely?

Mold is naturally in the air around us virtually all the time. When it settles in a warm, moist environment, such as the interior of the EGG, it can readily grow and spread. When this occurs you will actually see the mold. To eliminate it, just light the EGG and bring the temperature up to 450°F and allow the EGG to "cook" for about 30 minutes. Then close the vents to put out the fire; after it cools down use a wire brush to remove any leftover mold residue. Do not use any chemicals to treat the mold! The ceramics can absorb the chemicals and emit dangerous fumes when the EGG is in use thereafter.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    IF you need one more vote!!
    I agree 100%...Do NOT use any bleach or other cleaning chemicals.
    A good fire will take care of the problem.
  • Grilling Away in ?
    Options
    I agree, fire it up and you can scrape any loose residue from the grate and insides. Brush on the grates and loosely balled aluminum foil will work on the inside of the dome. No bleach or cleaning solutions necessary.