Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small vs. mini

Options
Hungry Celeste
Hungry Celeste Posts: 534
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a mini & a large. I am contemplating a swap-out of the mini for a small. Can anyone who owns a small & a mini do a comparison/contrast of the two (I'm not talking technical specs) for me? Interested in things like how long it takes to get the coals cooking-ready, whether any accessories are available for the small, etc.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    The small has more cooking space but takes longer to heat up.The mini is a little more portable than the small.To tell you the truth I like them both and use both of them.
    Larry
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I think of my minis as "toys" that just happen to cook and be BGE's. I would not swap I would just get the small. we use our minis more than any of our eggs but they are for faster cooks and for two people. the small can cook for a family, you can on the mini with some planning but it is our "microwave??" egg LOL small and up you can do larger pieces of meat and low and slow. and I am not saying the mini can't some on here have LOL
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Got both, use both often, and like both

If I could only have one it would be the small but I can have both :laugh:

One of my favorite things to do is sear on the mini and roast on the small.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    The mini is great if one needs portablility. It is more of a grill as opposed to a smoker. While I have seen videos of a mini smoking a moose, etc., the fact is a small is much easier to use if very much food is to be cooked. Our mini gets used several times each week for grilling for two, our small not as much. The mini comes up to temp much faster than the small. Being able to have food further removed from the heat source when using a small gives one more "breathing room" than on the mini, where the food is just next to the lump. The Ceramic Grill Store offers a mini-sized Woo ring. I need to order one of these. Like Frank said, if I could only have one it would be the small, but I would greatly miss the mini.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I think you've just convinced me to get a Mini Woo before I even think about the small!
  • Linda123
    Linda123 Posts: 67
    Options
    we will order a mini & keep it in our motor home --we love rving !
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have lg,sm and mini. Use the mini the most but would never get rid of the small.
    Order the woo, I keep it in the mini all the time. Great for doing a spatchcock chicken on mini....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I think the small is just about as good as it gets for a smaller size egg. I haven't used my mini for a long time.

Mike
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I don't have a mini, but take my Small camping whenever we go. The small is plenty portable and gives you soo many options and cooking methods that come in handy at camp.