Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Breast

Options
Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone noticed how moist chicken breast come out on the egg. I cook them for about 20 minutes at 350. Best Chicken breasts I've had have come off the egg and I used to hate grilled Chicken Breast.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Deetwood,[p]Right you are![p]Since reading "Japanese Cooking: a Simple Art", I've changed my technique for cooking chicken. [p]Flatten breasts to make them more uniform. Use whatever rub or marinade you want. Crank the Egg to 700 degrees and put the breasts on. For 1/2 inch thick breasts, sear for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and shut down; dwell the "second side" of the breasts for another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and rest for 3 to 5 minutes and serve.[p]If, like me, you like a smokey taste, add a handful of dry chips when you first put the breasts on.[p]Ken[p]incidentally, this works great for any boneless chicken - thighs are fantastic!
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    TRex chicken breasts? Who woulda thunk?[p]I take it you're doing about skin-on, right? I usually do boneless skinless. Just did some last night. I was once again *amazed* by all the juice on the plate for them being skinless. Incredible.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Pakak,[p]Either way. Skin-on is a bit more moist, but the technique works well skin-off too. You lose a little moistness with skin-off, but it's not objectionable.[p]Incidentally, since reading the book (author: Shizuo Tsuji) I'm grilling everything much hotter and faster. He advocates some top-dollar Japanese charcoal - I've found I can get the temps I want with straight mesquite, and at those temps there's no "added flavor" from the mesquite.[p]Ken